Version 5.5 > Coping a Program or Song to MS Word

Rick Everingham
12/15/2005 10:29:43 AM
We have a need to provide a printed copy of our song selection in verse/chorus order to a number of people in our congregation eaach Sunday morning.  If I use print program  and then copy to clipboard and then paste it into a word document, it places the program inside of a table.  Making it difficult to edit if you need to add some information not contained in the SSP program.  The only workaround is to copy the contents of the cell and paste them into another word document, which of course I would prefer not do a second copy/paste.

If you copy an indiviual song from the program and then paste it into word, it does not place into a table, making editing easy, however it copies the song directly from the database, not from the program in the verse/chorus order you set up.

Any ideas?

David
12/15/2005 11:20:04 AM
One workaround is to copy the program to the clipboard and then paste it into Excel.  You can print it from there without having it print the ugly frames that Word inserts.

However if you want to use Word to do formatting etc it gets a bit more complicated.  Copy the clipboard into Excel, then copy from Excel to Notepad and THEN into Word.  It's a bit of a workaround but it's far faster than copying individual items from one cell to another. 

It would be nice if you could just copy into Notepad but saddly Notepad won't let you do this.  Notepad is a handy tool when you want to keep your text but not keep the formatting that goes with it. 

Edit: Edit again Joel's method below is far superior to mine.  Tables in Word have always confused me. 

osborn4
12/15/2005 12:12:58 PM
I copy the HTML to clipboard* and paste it into Word. Once in Word, I go through the table and delete the rows that I  don't need to print out (e.g. black out slides).

Then a select the entire table that SSP, in it's infinite wisdom (sarcasm intended), choose to put the songs in and use the Table > Convert > Table to Text. And that gets rid of the ugly frames.

Then you may edit and format at will.

This will not work with Office 97 or later, because they cannot read the HTML off of the clipboard.

Another option might be to paste into Word, do a select all and copy, then paste it into notepad. The copy the contents of notepad into a new word document.

Yet another option in Word might be to use Edit -> Paste Special -> Unformatted Text. I don't know if it would work or not. It might be the easiest of all if it does and I'm kicking myself right now for not thinking of it earlier.

*I still wish there was a copy text to clipboard option so we didn't have to go through this mularkey.

markrief
12/16/2005 1:25:12 PM
I think the easiest is to...
Print program, copy to clipboard (html)

Then go to Word, Paste (ctrl-V), Select all (ctrl-A), Cut (ctrl-X), Edit--> Paste Special, Unformatted text

Mark

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙