Tips & Tricks > How to keep desktop from showing on screen

akins
5/13/2011 10:06:54 AM
This may have a simple answer, but haven't found anyone that has one yet. We have the typical setup: monitor 1 for the programs and monitor 2 (and the projector) to show SSP's output. Now and then, we need to quickly access another program or some piece of data. The quickest way is to hit the "desktop" button or to minimize SSP. Unfortunately, either of these methods send the desktop to both monitors and the screen -- very awkward in the middle of the sermon! I know that I can reduce SSP from full screen on monitor 1 and accomplish what I desire, but I was wondering if there was some method to keep the desktop from ever showing on monitor 2.

osborn4
5/13/2011 12:58:29 PM
Our desktop is black, so when we minimize SSP, it just goes to black.

I don't think there is any way of minimizing SSP control panel and leaving the projection up. If I'm going to need to do something else, I usually start it ahead of time and alt-tab to it.

If I have to do something else, I try to do it through the start menu.

Alternatly, and more cumbersome, if your SSP control panel is maximized, you could "restore" (unmaximize) it. It's the middle of the three buttons on the upper right or double click on the title bar. Then you should size the window down and move it around to find what you might need on the desktop.

akins
5/13/2011 2:50:21 PM
Thanks, Joel. Even going black is a little disconcerting, albeit better than having icons show up. I have use the shutter on the projector and also the freeze. Freeze is best, but, unfortunately, puts "freeze" at the bottom of the screen. Restoring is the best method I've found so far -- just thought I might be overlooking something. I've removed the "show desktop" button from the task bar to keep any of my helpers from using it.

Kholsinger
5/13/2011 3:30:05 PM
I always use a black desktop or create a logo splash screen with our church logo on it. THat way it is not abrupt as you describe. That way even if the app freezes and needs restarted it will do so without the congregation knowing

mike
5/13/2011 7:55:47 PM
Black desktop for us too, and no icons on the display screen. That was the way our original system shipped (purchased from that other company that R-techniques was partnered with before GoFish) and it took me a little while to realize that that was no accident.

iamgap
5/14/2011 8:39:59 PM

Black desktop also, along with no icons on the "Display" monitor. I never thought about Restore Down/Maximize. With SSP Control Panel in the Restore Down mode, you can actually drag the window down, (or to the left) to see what is on the desktop. You just need to be careful not to move to the right, to prevent the Control Panel window from showing on the "Display" monitor.

akins
5/15/2011 7:16:14 AM
You just need to be careful not to move to the right, to prevent the Control Panel window from showing on the "Display" monitor.

Along that line, I've had to give others warnings about not moving the mouse accidentally such that it shows up on the projection screen -- it's easy for the projectionist to miss, but everyone in the audience sees it!

iamgap
5/15/2011 2:03:08 PM
Posted By Dick Akiins on 15 May 2011 07:16 AM
You just need to be careful not to move to the right, to prevent the Control Panel window from showing on the "Display" monitor.

Along that line, I've had to give others warnings about not moving the mouse accidentally such that it shows up on the projection screen -- it's easy for the projectionist to miss, but everyone in the audience sees it!

If I move the mouse to the display screen, it is not visible; except if a window other than SSP is active. I have the monitors set up to be diagonal to each other. The bottom left of the Display screen meets the top right of the control screen. This prevents the mouse from drifting to the side, and onto the display. The down side is that an inexperienced user can "lose" the mouse if they are not use to this setup.
         ____
        |        |
____|____|
|        |
|____|

I am not sure this will show up right on the forum, but the above is how the monitors are layed out.

osborn4
5/15/2011 2:10:30 PM
In the Windows Display Properties you can adjust the relative position of the two screens by dragging them around. You could put screen 2 to the upper right of the control screen (screen 1) by dragging it up. Then you could only get from screen 1 to screen 2 by going precisely through the upper right corner.

sunfire1985
7/3/2011 11:52:56 AM
Not sure if someone answered this for you, but I've had similar situations where I may have forgotten to launch a program during the sermon/worship time, and need to get another program going or file opened. We have our setup as so: monitor one is our computer display monitor and songshow outputs to monitor 2 (projector) monitor two is just configured as an extended desktop. What I have found that you can do, while keeping the slideshow going without it minimizing, or having it being covered up is to just use the start button. You can navigate through the file folders to the desktop if files are there or to launch a program without the screen going blank. ie: start->my computer -> navigate to where you need. I will double check this later on this week to make sure. Hope that helps.

fbcgoshen
10/23/2011 4:54:35 PM
Our setup is 2 dual video cards so we can always have a work screen besides the SSP work screen. We leave PPTs open on this screen(when PPT has been hosed by an update which seems to happen just about every update) and can access video files while not disturbing the 3rd projection screen. We also run black backgrounds on everything, projector for signal loss and for the pc itself. We even remove the start up image so on the occasion we need to restart in the service most people will never know we had problems.

garoy
11/23/2011 6:19:36 PM
We have a solution to this little problem.  Our system has a scaler/switcher and a fader.  Our fader has a freeze and a black button on the production line.  When we need to do work on the desktop( ie load a program) we hit the freeze button and the scaler/switcher just takes a snap shot of the signal and freezes it.  It is quick and simple.  We also have our desktop background set to a dark blue but that might change to black in the near future.  Our fader is made by Extron as is our scaler/switcher.

Good Luck!

osborn4
11/23/2011 6:40:24 PM
I've worked with projectors that have a freeze as well. Very handy feature.

akins
11/24/2011 8:40:13 AM
The new (Aug ed.) option for leaving the projector display up even when SSP is minimized is a very good solution. Thanks to the tech guys.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙