Version 9.0 > Internet Access REQUIRED!?!?!?

michaeldyaeger
6/4/2020 2:34:01 PM
I just downloaded and installed version 9 this past week. It worked fine until I disconnected from the internet. After that SSP would not boot at all!

I called support and they said internet access is now REQUIRED in order to run SSP. Is that correct? If so, that is the most IGNORANT thing that has ever happened to this software!

We typically run our tech equipment on an isolated network that does not have internet access. It is the most secure and reliable way of operating. Also, we often use our projection laptop at outdoor services (I'm sure everyone is now familiar with the term "drive-in church" by now). If internet access is required, it makes operating in these environments absolutely impossible!

Can someone tell me for sure if this is indeed a new "feature"? If so, I request that this be REMOVED IMMEDIATELY! If not, we must resort to downgrading to 8.5 and wasting our subscription service.

George
6/10/2020 5:03:36 PM
Short answer - No, an internet connection is not required to run SongShow Plus.

An internet connection is required to do several things like activate efficiently, download songs, use Online Services etc.  But not to run SSP.

Please advise the context of the conversation and whom you spoke with regarding this.

IF SSP is already activated you should be able to start it and use it.  If that is not the case please let me know.

michaeldyaeger
6/16/2020 12:14:19 PM
I contacted the support phone number after receiving the following error:

That is when I was told of this new "feature". I do not remember the person's name who told me this, but it was a man.

I have since confirmed that this is still the case. If I boot the PC without internet access, SSP will not work. I get the above error. Even if I connect to the internet after booting the PC, SSP will not open. If I boot the PC with internet access, SSP works. I could then disconnect from the internet and SSP will still work fine.

I do have some network drives that are disconnected when I on the isolated network, but those have nothing to do with SSP.

michaeldyaeger
6/16/2020 12:27:13 PM
I did some more testing and if I boot SSP before the network drive statuses refresh, it will boot fine. If I boot with network drives disconnected, connect to the network, and then refresh the network drive statuses, SSP will boot. So, I'm not sure if this is an internet issue or intranet issue. Either way, something is not working as it should because none of this happened in version 8.5.

George
6/16/2020 4:18:50 PM
OK - thanks for the info.

I did touch base with the support team to ensure they are aware of the requirements.

And just to be clear, this is Version 9 you are launching - is that correct?

I ask because that error message you posted appears to be from an older version of SSP.  SSP does use drive and network data to ensure uniqueness for activation so it is possible that there is some odd behavior going on there.

Please reach out to the support team so that they can gather some information to escalate your issue.

Thanks.

michaeldyaeger
6/23/2020 9:59:12 AM
Yes, this is version 9.0.3.20218.0 that I am using. The screenshot error message came from this version. I've never gotten this error message on any version 8.5 or lower.

I did some more testing and found that other users on the same PC (non-admins) who do not have network drives mapped are able to run SSP fine with or without internet.

I tested SSP, again, with the admin user with networked drives mapped and connected them one by one. It seems that SSP works fine without network access as long as drive (D:\) is mapped. This drive has the local admin user's "Downloads" library mapped to it. None of the other mapped network drives seem to affect whether SSP works or not.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙