Tips & Tricks > Song Select Issues

LamarM
6/3/2011 3:46:40 PM
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, and I've looked at the comments that I could find. We just purchased a new computer for the church. This computer runs windows 7 x64. Needless to say the user database and the song select database won't work even though I've installed the software and tested it using the utility, but the songs don't show up. This is the first I've heard of this but it appears that it stopped in 2006. We don't have internet access in the sancturary so using the online service is out. My question is there a way to export the songs out of Song Select in to a usable format that can be imported in to Song Show Plus. If there is would someone please explain how to do it. Your help would be much appreciated.

Lamar

mike
6/4/2011 6:32:41 AM
There are several things you can look at to get your Songs DBs into a usable state:

Restoring your old PCs DB onto the new:
I haven't tried this, but... Under the tools main menu, about half way down, is a Backup/Restore Utility option. It appears to allow you to backup and restore your user database. I did notice that it does not backup the Stock DB, however, if you clone the songs you want backed up (on the old PC first) the clone copies will be backed up.

Stock DBs
Under the Songs main menu, there is a Search Databases option.. That shows you which DB are active. At home, mine shows Stock hymns and Song Show Plus. As I recall these are installed and are chosen at install (or reinstall) time.

Song Select from a computer with Internet access
Song Select allows you to download songs into text files. Do that on a computer with Internet access, then, in SSP on the projection PC, use the Create New Song option from the Songs panel on the middle left side, and choose Song Select Data File.

akins
6/4/2011 7:14:28 AM
In the past I have copied the entire "songs" folder from one computer to another and didn't have any issues. I always rename "songs" to "songs old" on the destination PC in case something goes wrong. I have also copied individual song files from one computer to another.

LamarM
6/4/2011 1:32:42 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I did a backup and restore from old to new computer and it says that it did restore the song select files but they don't show up in the new install of SSP. Under the Search Databases it shows Christmas, Stock and SSP DB. I have used the option to save the songs from Song Select to a TXT file but there are over 8.000 of them and it would be too time consuming. I was frankly hunting a little easier method of doing this. I've printed off all the song select titles and will have the music director go through them marking all that he wants and then I'll have to download each of those indivdually to SSP DB.

I did a backup and restore from the old system to the new one when I first installed SSP and everything came over fine with the exception of the user DB because DAO is not used in windows 7. I thought that all was taken care of until i started noticing that there weren't many songs in the SSP DB. When I try to open one of the programs that I restored from the old PC I get errors about user db and song select db not being active.

any other ideas would be much appreciated.

mike
6/4/2011 5:19:02 PM
This may be an actual Windows compatibility issue, but...
Try calling SSP customer support, I think they will be able to help you.. It really shouldn't be this difficult.

LamarM
6/15/2011 7:39:22 AM
Just a note to let you know that the Song Select issue is resolved and to let you know how it was fixed. 3 rd party apps like song select that have been locally installed don't work in soong show plus eval mode. my current projection license was tied up on our computer in the santurary and sales sent me an eval license so I could get the new computer set up to replace our current one.

You would think that somewhere in all the entries in this forum that someone would have mentioned this. I can't believe that I'm the frist person that ever had this issue.

thanks to all those that responded and tried to help.

Lamar

Rick Everingham
6/15/2011 7:26:59 PM
I just went through this, see my thread on it:

http://www.ssplash.com/Forums/tabid/76/aff/15/aft/17639/afv/topic/Default.aspx

LamarM
6/16/2011 7:36:21 AM
I saw your post and tried everything in it to fix the issue, however as soon as I changed to a permanent license for eval the issue went away. I was not able to fix the user database issue with the fix mentioned in the thread you referenced. we only had 55 songs in the user database so it wasn't a big deal to redo them.

thanks for your help.

Lamar

akins
6/16/2011 9:18:50 AM
we only had 55 songs in the user database

Could have just removed the "user..." prefix from each file name.

LamarM
6/17/2011 1:35:40 PM
Hi Dick, thanks for your responses, can you explain your statement about removing the user prefix from each file name. I'm only aware of one file and its user database.mdb please correct me if i'm wrong. I haven't worked on porting the songs over to SSP yet.

thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Lamar

George
6/17/2011 3:05:04 PM
I think Dick was confusing this with the "User" label for the collections sorting - that is completely different than the User Database.

LamarM
6/17/2011 3:13:45 PM
Thanks.

Rick Everingham
6/19/2011 8:03:41 AM
Do you have Win 7 service pack 1 installed, that was necessary to get the "Windows & compatibility mode". Bottom line, I cloned the songs into the SSP database.

akins
6/19/2011 11:56:10 AM
that is completely different than the User Database

Aren't the files in the "songs" folder and with the names of each song the containers for the information about each song, i.e., the song database? They seem to be since they contain the lyrics and other information. about the songs. And aren't those files the ones which, when prefixed with "user," constitute the user database? I could be completely off-base on my thinking about this, but this is how I have operated for 4-5 years. When I removed the "user" prefix from the songs in that folder, the user database disappeared.

LamarM
6/19/2011 12:25:53 PM
that's not the case on our system, all the information about the user songs are in a microsoft database, the ones that you've saved in song select are in that database in a file with a .isd extension and the songs saved in the SSP DB have a .sbsong extension. I personally think that it would have been much better if the company had not given the user a choice about which db they could store the songs in. I know it would have saved me about 2 weeks worth of work if they had all been in the SSP db.

Lamar

LamarM
6/19/2011 1:14:36 PM
Yes I did have win 7 sp1 installed and followed the directions given, still got the dao error. I'll try cloning the songs out of the user database into the ssp database. Lamar

LamarM
6/20/2011 1:01:50 PM
I cloned the songs from the user database to the SSP database, did a backup and restore of the SSP db to the new machine.

Lamar

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙