Version 5.5 > DVD puzzlement

osborn4
12/28/2005 10:37:51 AM
Christmas eve, the pastor wanted a DVD clip from "It's a Wonderful Life." No problem. I've got WinDVD 4.0 now. Right?

I slid the DVD into the drive and clicked to import the DVD into SSP (5.5).

It didn't recognize the chapters. It had 2 short opening slides (about 20 seconds each) that would play when you start the DVD. Then it just recognized the entire move as one chapter.

So I had to skip through the movie about an hour or so to get to the scene. I was able to (pretty much) set start and end points.

In a DVD player (and in WIinDVD), the DVD will just play the 2 opening slides and then start the movie. But you can press the menu button and get to a scene selection menu, with 20-some chapters available to pick from. But SSP didn't recognize them.

Puzzlement 2:

During the first Christmas Eve service, when we were coming up on the clip, I was going to cue it up, so that the DVD would be spinning and it would start right when I wanted to. Seems like I got some sort of preview error when I tried to cue it. When I clicked on the green diamond to show it, it started at the beginning of the movie.

I switched the display to the title slide for the sermon and motioned for the pastor to stretch.

I checked the playback settings, and the start and end point were still set. Somehow the pastor thought I had motioned him that we were ready so he introed the cut again. So I hit the green diamond, and it started right were it was supposed to.

I played around with that quite a bit between the two services.  I wanted to adjust the start and end points by a second or two, but couldn't get that to happen. (Side note: It would be nice to have the option to fade in, or have the soundtrack fade in, anyway). Showing the DVD, however, seemed to be working fine.

So, we went in to the second service. This time I did not cue the DVD, and it played fine the first time.

I'll be taking a look at the 7.0 stuff, but I wanted you to know about my 5.5 experience.

osborn4
12/29/2005 1:25:33 PM
On the other hand.

I do have to say Hooray for the DVD module. The pastor has a DVD he wants to use this weekend that doesn't have chapters. It has a 5 minute music video followed by a domumentary (with a nice fade to black in between). He wants the documentary shown first and after the sermon, he want's the music video.

With the DVD module, I have made 2 program entries for the DVD with appropriate start and end points. This is something that would have been a REAL hassle to try on a DVD player.

So, thanks R-Technics, for the DVD functionallity that does work. It can be incredibly useful and valuable.

rlooliver
2/5/2006 9:18:54 AM
What type of system are you using? I am presently using a sony vaio w/2gig ram, 320gb hard drive at 7200 rpm and still can't get dvd vidio to work in ssp 5.5. locks up for a few seconds sometimes.

osborn4
2/5/2006 10:44:12 AM
What DVD playing software do you have? SSP is happier with WinDVD. I downloaded and installed the trial version and things worked much better. I then found out from SSP support, that SSP is even happier with WinDVD v4, so I went to eBay and got me one for about $10. And there was much rejoicing.

We have a Dell with a 2.8 ror 3.0 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM. 7200RPM 80 gig hard drive, I think. It may be 120 or 160. ATI Radeon X700 PCI Express graphics card with 256MB of RAM.

iamgap
3/6/2006 7:32:15 PM
Were are just starting "When World Views Colide". This comes in a three disc set. The Pastor had selected an intro to Pastors on DVD 2 to start, to be immediately followed by the Intro on DVD 1. The problem is that we only have one "Professional" DVD player. So I thought I would take advantage of the DVD promodule. I had the 2 minute Intro on DVD 2 set as the last item in the Program so I could play the longer items on the "Professional" player. When the Pastor signalled for the start, SSP displayed a blank background for about 30 (eternally long) or more second before it played. It said something to the effect of Waiting on device.

Since queueing doesn't look like a wise thing to do, what do you all do to minimize the "spin-up" time? TIA

gap

osborn4
3/7/2006 5:10:39 AM
I've never seen a 30 second spin up. I wonder if you could cue the DVD, then cue something else, then show the DVD, in rapid sucession and have the drive spun up.

That's what I'd play with. I'd also suggest that you try to cue the DVD on your computer sometime when you are not live, and see if you get the same result.

dreece
3/7/2006 11:20:19 AM
With DVDs, a really long spin-up time usually means that there was a mandatory video that had to be play before getting to the selected title.  SSP hides this, but does have to wait for the mandatory video to complete.

osborn4
3/7/2006 12:07:10 PM
So cueing won't help at all?

dreece
3/8/2006 12:05:44 AM
Cueing would help. However, even having the DVD title in a program should (may) also solve the problem as well since items in a program are loaded when the program is loaded.

osborn4
3/8/2006 4:39:34 AM
Posted By iamgap on 03/06/2006 7:32 PM
Were are just starting "When World Views Colide". This comes in a three disc set. The Pastor had selected an intro to Pastors on DVD 2 to start, to be immediately followed by the Intro on DVD 1. The problem is that we only have one "Professional" DVD player. So I thought I would take advantage of the DVD promodule. I had the 2 minute Intro on DVD 2 set as the last item in the Program so I could play the longer items on the "Professional" player. When the Pastor signalled for the start, SSP displayed a blank background for about 30 (eternally long) or more second before it played. It said something to the effect of Waiting on device.

Since queueing doesn't look like a wise thing to do, what do you all do to minimize the "spin-up" time? TIA

gap

Looks like he had it set as an item in his program.

dreece
3/8/2006 11:48:30 PM
Ok. First, can you confirm that the DVD has a mandatory intro video that cannot be FF or skipped? If not, then there is some other issue.

iamgap
3/9/2006 6:05:01 PM
Posted By dreece on 03/08/2006 11:48 PM
Ok. First, can you confirm that the DVD has a mandatory intro video that cannot be FF or skipped? If not, then there is some other issue.

I will have to check that when I do the announcements this weekend. I believe it does.

Is there a way to go ahead and show the mandatory part? That way were are covered, and the "audience" will know that we aren't asleep at the switch.

gap

dreece
3/9/2006 11:50:54 PM
No, there is not an option for that. However, if you start the DVD title once before the service, I believe it should be ready to go when you're ready to play it during the service.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙