Version 5.5 > Need some advice...

jeffreyaspence
1/8/2006 9:45:21 PM

When we got a new PC for our church, my co-hort asked if he could pick the PC.  He's more of an A/V guy than a PC guy (no offense to Karen or other ladies ), but his A/V company didn't have much PC experience, and wanted some more to put on their resumé.  I wasn't sure about his picking a dual-core processor, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.  So I bought Windows 64, and later bought SSP.

See my problem?

Well, it was working fine until I updated SSP in December.  That's when I found out you shouldn't use EITHER Win64 OR dual-core.

So, at this point, my options are:

1)  Install SSP 7 on the existing system - Is the beta stable enough to do this?  That kinda makes me nervous, but SSP is now unreliable, so doing nothing also makes me nervous.

2)  Install Win32 on the dual core - Would this help?  Would the 32-bit O/S cause the dual-core act like a single core?

3)  Is there an option on an AMD dual-core to disable the 2nd core?  I am a PC geek, but I haven't really dealt with dual-core technology too much.

Does anyone have a better option than these?  Any ideas?

dreece
1/8/2006 11:21:55 PM
If Option 1 means installing SSP V7 on Win64, then I recommend against that idea.

Option 2 is a good one, but you will still need to use SSP V7 rather than an earlier version.

I'm not sure that Option 3 is really an option (that is, disabling one of the cores).

jeffreyaspence
1/9/2006 4:46:57 AM
So I'd assume that by your response that 7 is stable enough to run during a service?

Thanks for the response Doug.

osborn4
1/9/2006 4:59:39 AM
Several of us have moved to v.7 in our services with no ill effects.

I've been able to turn hyper threading on.

David
1/9/2006 9:30:05 AM
SSP version 7 is compatible with Dual Core operating systems.  My main test rig is an AMD dual core system running the 32 bit version of Windows XP Professional.  It works just fine.  Version 5.5 does not. 

Rick Everingham
1/9/2006 11:21:46 AM
I have been using V7 since October in all of our services and have no problems during a sevice.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙