Tips & Tricks > Default image and Video settings

osborn4
6/25/2013 9:20:31 AM
I've been wishing for a long time to be able to have images and videos show up full screen, with a black background whenever I fired them, whether I fired them from the database or from the program.

A while back, the option to default to a black background when adding to a program was added and that included making videos full screen. These could be set by default in the program item's display properties.

But it wouldn't work (the way I had is set up) from the database. And even images added to the program had the default margins, rather than full screen.

However, this week's GoFishMedia's tip of the week showed me that I could fix all that. I just had to go into the default display properties for video and image and set them to full screen and override background with black.

I've been waiting so long for this and it's beenthere right under my nose.

So, thank you GoFishMedia for pointing this out to me. I now have both my SSP machines set up this way and it's quite a time saver.

dreece
6/25/2013 2:57:00 PM
I'm glad you finally learned about that feature. Somewhat ironically, those settings have been replaced by the media-specific display properties in version 8.

osborn4
6/25/2013 3:02:24 PM
I had submitted this as a wish and you (or someone from R-Techinics) had closed it as already fulfilled in display properties, but I just couldn't grok what was meant. I guess I'm a visual learner. ;-)

akins
6/26/2013 7:15:29 AM
couldn't grok what was meant

Well, Joel, I can't "grok" what you meant! ;-)

osborn4
6/26/2013 10:14:05 AM
"grok" as in you're not familiar with the term grok (it is awfully 60s of me) or you don't understand the display settings I discovered?

akins
6/26/2013 3:47:31 PM
Boy, I was programming like crazy in the 60's, but that term somehow got past me here in the wheat fields. I'll plan to spring it on some buddies soon.

osborn4
6/26/2013 4:19:12 PM
I actually didn't pick it up until I read "Stranger in a Strange Land" in the 80s.

Like many influential works of literature, Stranger made a contribution to the English language: specifically, the word "grok". In Heinlein's invented Martian language, "grok" literally means "to drink" and figuratively means "to comprehend", "to love", and "to be one with". One dictionary description was "To understand thoroughly through having empathy with". This word rapidly became common parlance among science fiction fans, hippies, and computer hackers, and has since entered the Oxford English Dictionary among others.

iamgap
6/26/2013 6:58:51 PM
Posted By Joel Osborn on 26 Jun 2013 04:19 PM

I actually didn't pick it up until I read "Stranger in a Strange Land" in the 80s.

Like many influential works of literature, Stranger made a contribution to the English language: specifically, the word "grok". In Heinlein's invented Martian language, "grok" literally means "to drink" and figuratively means "to comprehend", "to love", and "to be one with". One dictionary description was "To understand thoroughly through having empathy with". This word rapidly became common parlance among science fiction fans, hippies, and computer hackers, and has since entered the Oxford English Dictionary among others.
off-topic alert

Wow!! I know I have a real problem with reading comprehension, but I read Stranger in a Strange Land a couple times as a teen, an I don't remember that term. I really loved Heinlein's work. The short story of the guy chasing a person through a "four dimension" house was probably one of my favorites. Steven Donaldson's 'Thomas Covenant' series was another favorite.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙