Tips & Tricks > Importing ASCII Text Files formated songs into SSP

kleeg
2/21/2014 2:52:18 PM
Hi
I have a copy of our songbook in ASCII text format and at present I add the songs to SSP by cutting and pasting verse by verse.  Is there an easier way of importing the text formatted songs?

George
2/24/2014 9:19:11 AM
Not an automated way if that is what you are looking for....

If you are actually copy/pasting into the edit window for each step a slightly faster method would be to use the clipboard importer since that will at least allow you to select and insert all the parts rather than having to edit each individual section.

kleeg
2/24/2014 8:39:50 PM
Thanks - I will give it a go tonight

osborn4
2/25/2014 7:21:20 AM
Here is some documentation on the SongSelect usr format.

I don't knwo how dated that information is, but it could be that you could edit the text file and put in these tags and then import them into SSP with the SongSelect import.

I'd make a copy, so you don't mess up your original file and save the new one as a .usr

I dont' know if this would be easier or not. But it's an option.

akins
2/25/2014 8:29:03 AM
A lot of us have encountered this situation over the years and have found that it is easier to just add
the needed songs week by week by downloading from CCLI Song Select, when available, or hand copying
when not. Of course, many of the common hymns are included in the SSP database. Although this seems
like a lot of work, it isn't much each week and it gets easier as time goes by. Good luck, been there, done that ;-)

osborn4
2/25/2014 9:32:13 AM
Agreed. Sometimes rebuilding from scratch let's you start clean. And doing it week by week shouldn't take a lot of time, if you have a SongSelect license from CCLI and the songs you want are in SongSelect.

kleeg
2/27/2014 9:09:12 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for your replies - I found the clipboard importer the best way for me to import.

Graeme

dreece
3/3/2014 3:22:49 PM
FWIW, SSP 8.0 has a text file import utility that doesn't require the clipboard.

mike
3/5/2014 10:29:59 AM
I hope the clipboard import will still be available. I converted our entire library, from a competing product we used for a few year, using the clipboard import. Once I got the hang of it, it was very: fast, flexible, easy and complete.

George
3/5/2014 11:28:19 AM
Additional clarification:

Yes, the Clipboard option is still available but...

The new song Text Importer (and other new document based song importers) all work in a similar fashion to the clipboard in that you are presented with the text and you get to select which parts to add where in the song file.  The advantage is you are saved steps needed to get the text to the system clipboard because the docs are opened in the native application.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙