Version 8.0 > "No Files" in Image/Video dialog

sbinder
1/15/2014 4:29:03 PM
I know I've seen posts on this before, but I don't remember if the issue was ever resolved, and can't find any with the forum's search feature. Usually, when trying to load an image or video or change the background of a song or slideshow, I get a list of images (or videos), sometimes after a "zLoading" message. But eventually (the timing seems random, but it always happens eventually) the dialog will open with "No files" and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to (short of rebooting) to get them back. It's driving me crazy!

George
1/15/2014 6:35:21 PM
Stuart,

The dialogs have changed some and in some cases you might not have a folder with content selected when you first open it.  Have you switched methods (folder/text/color) to see if that changes the behavior.  I also assume that you know there are proper files in the selected location - is that correct?

In general I don't have the issue you are seeing but if you for example only see it in a certain dialog please let us know that.

Are you files on a remote location?

What else can you tell me about your configuration?

Thanks

sbinder
1/16/2014 9:44:59 AM
Workstation (and projection machine) are running Windows 7 Pro. Files are on a network share (Server 2008 r2) and are confirmed present. Changing folders will sometimes cause the list of files to reappear, but usually not.

When it happens, it happens for all media - all image and video directories appear empty.

sbinder
3/18/2014 9:55:02 AM
I'm using the latest (1/29) SSP build, but still randomly getting "No Files" in Image/Video dialog. I had to reboot my projection machine during class last night because the video directory where I had clips for the class was suddenly empty. Is this a windows search issue? I've tried messing with the indexing options, but nothing seems to help. We're experiencing this problem on workstations and our main projection machine. All of our SSP media is on a network share (so we can set programs up on a workstation).

The only workaround I have found is that when building a program, I can sometimes use the larger (Select Document or File) dialog, and type (or paste) the full file name directly into the "File name" field. This only works in Slide Builder... there is no such dialog in SongShow Plus itself. So when all the media files disappear, there doesn't appear to be any solution short of rebooting the machine.

George
3/19/2014 6:19:06 PM
Stuart,

I will take another look at this.  I can say that in the current testing I have not seen this but I am working off of a newer build. 

I am not sure that indexing will matter in this case if the files are on another system.  As I understand it files in remote locations are not indexed - at least not by default and without some additional effort.  That said it is still a concern that your files are coming and going.

Question:
So this is appearing in the database panels correct?  do you see any folders?  even the root?
Try this -
When it is working:
from the image or video database panel right click on the root folder and explore.  You should get to the folder where your files are and see all files and folders.

When it is NOT working:
from the image or video database panel right click on the root folder and explore. You might get to the folder where your files are and see all files and folders.  If you do and they are not showing in the DB panel this could be an SSP issue.  If they do not show up here either then the files are not available to Windows either.

Let me know what you find.

sbinder
3/24/2014 11:02:04 AM
OK... it appears that in all cases (whether media are listed in the Images/Videos panels or not), right-clicking on a folder and selecting Explore will open a window displaying all of the available media. In other words, Explore always works, even when the panels in SSP (and the file dialogs in Slide Builder) report "No files."

George
3/24/2014 3:16:45 PM
OK - thanks Stuart.

George
3/25/2014 5:07:21 PM
Stuart - after re-reading your posts and discussing this a bit I have another question....

You mentioned that you checked/adjusted the indexing settings - was that on the local system or on the server? 

It seems that for indexing to work on remote files the server must be doing the indexing.  Please check this out and see if they are indexed on your server.  You may have to install some server roles to get this to work...

After you do that check this again.

I am still working on setting this up here but wanted to share this info with you.

George
4/1/2014 1:03:16 PM
Stuart - I sent you a follow up email on this.

sbinder
4/1/2014 1:19:50 PM
Here are some more details on our situation:

We're using a Windows 2008 r2 server. The Windows Search role is installed, and indexing options is set to index all network shares, including the one used for SSP, which is set up as a local share, and is mapped as the P: drive on all our machines.

The main SSP directory is P:\SongShow\ on all client machines. In all cases, we have no problem browsing the SSP media files (i.e. P:\SongShow\Images) in Windows Explorer, even after they have disappeared from within SongShow.

Rick
4/3/2014 3:05:23 PM
I think we are having the same issue with our workstation.  No files are listed on workstation.  We are peer to peer and use the projection file data base, no files show on the workstation computer, then when you least expect it they appear on reboot.  Both Machines are running Windows 7. 

George
4/4/2014 9:45:36 AM
All,

It appears that we have been able to replicate the issue now and are investigating further.

If you encounter this issue when building slides or setting slide properties you should still be able to use Windows Explorer to find your files.   There is a button in the lower left corner of most of the file dialogs labeled "Use Windows Explorer" that when clicked will open an explorer window.  You will need to find your desired folder location the first time but it should remember the last location after that.

An alternate solution in the short term would be to use a local copy of the files.  We realize that this is not ideal but it will prevent the loss of the files. 

I will update this again if a better work around is found.

George
4/11/2014 12:48:21 PM
This issue should be corrected in the 4/10/2014 build that was recently posted.

Please check this and verify that your issue was corrected.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙