Tips & Tricks > Win 7 Prevent Screen Blanking

wbub
4/20/2014 7:05:50 PM
I was debating what forum to put this in, since it's Win 7 specific. More than once I have had the projection image disappear and the desktop show. I knew why, but I didn't know how to stop it except to be more careful. Let me explain. Win 7 has a "feature" which will "peek" at the desktop if the mouse is moved over the "Show Desktop" button. The default location for that button is on the very right of the task bar. You don't have to click; only "mouse over" the button. More than once I did this accidently. I finally got so annoyed I googled, and found out it is easy to disable the "peek" function: Simply right click on the button and uncheck "Peek at desktop." The button will still minimize everything when clicked, but will do nothing when accidently moused over. (I'd be curious how many people already knew this, and how many other people have accidently killed the projection because of this Windows 7 "feature.")

iamgap
4/21/2014 4:23:31 PM

I turned off "Aero" just after installing WIN7 to disable all of WIN7's features like this. I want the computer's performance to go to SSP, not eye candy.

gap

dreece
4/21/2014 10:37:07 PM
William, that's a good tip. There's also a related scenario that can occur by hovering over the taskbar icons. If you linger too long on one of them, it hides all other windows. However, it think this only happens when Aero is enabled. I'm not sure how to turn that feature off, but your tip may actually catch that one too -- I'm not sure. I'm like Gary here -- I've disabled Aero on my machines because of the overhead it incurs.

wbub
4/22/2014 9:48:57 AM
Doug,
When I hover over a task bar icon, it pops up a mini version of that window (or windows) at the bottom of the screen. Since the icons are on my control display, that does not impact projection. And that still happens with "Peek at desktop" turned off. If you then mouse over one of the mini windows, it DOES hide everything except that window. That would impact projection, but is fairly hard to do accidently.

iamgap
4/22/2014 3:54:37 PM

I am a fan of Alt-Tab. If you pause that too long, it will act as if you have hovered over the popped up bubbles. That was the secondary reason for disabling Aero.

Now if I cab figure out how to turn off the windows option to select the parent folder when you right-click a folder without left clicking it first. I now have to repair a bunch of server permissions thanks to that useless feature.

Maybe you should adapt SSP to work on Linux.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙