Version 5.5 > User Levels and SongShow

Songflipper
1/13/2006 12:14:52 PM
With the latest update of Songshow (05.05.05.03.04), we've noticed that the user level seems to affect operation. When the user login limits rights to "Power User" level, two things happen. First, when started after login, SongShow will take 3-5 minutes, appearing to hang up on the last scroll item -  PowerPoint Acquirer, in our case. Second, the Slide Builder app can't be used, always displaying a "Another instance of Slide Builder is in use" error flag - which is not the case.

Re-installing the SSP software does not cure the problem. However, if I re-login as an Administrator, everything works.

Is this a new thing? We've been using the Power User level in the past for general access with no problems.

osborn4
1/13/2006 1:11:51 PM
Does this article from the support knowledgebase help?

By the way, SSP support. If we do not have our data in the default directory, do we still need to open up both of those directories?

And how should we set the permisions, if we have WinXP SP2? The Sharing and Security tab says that if we want to share it, we need to drag it into the All Users folder. But it's in the All Users folder.

Should we try the CACLS command?

iamgap
1/14/2006 9:23:52 AM
Posted By osborn4 on 01/13/2006 1:11 PM
Does this article from the support knowledgebase help?

By the way, SSP support. If we do not have our data in the default directory, do we still need to open up both of those directories?

And how should we set the permisions, if we have WinXP SP2? The Sharing and Security tab says that if we want to share it, we need to drag it into the All Users folder. But it's in the All Users folder.
If I understand your issue; open My Computer, select Tools menu>Folder Options, click the view tab, and in Advanced Settings: scroll to the bottom and deselct Use simple file sharing (Recommended). You may also have to select Show hidden files and folders to see the folders listed in that support item. Then click OK. Now you should be able to set file permissions in addition to share permissions. I usually just search for all R-Technics folders and set the permissions on what is found. I have found that on of the folders (under common files I believe) doesn't have Inherit permissions, so you have to drill down to alter these.
Posted By osborn4 on 01/13/2006 1:11 PM
Should we try the CACLS command?
CACLS is a bit over the top, and may be to difficult for the average user.

Speaking of over the top. In most versions of XP and Server 2003 you have to edit  GP to allow network logon with a blank password. Just in case you have a lmited user account for SSP like I do. Sure I could put a password on it, but then I would have to post the password and worry about someone not being able to find it if it is removed.

[Start] [Run] and type gpedit.msc and click [OK]
Navigate to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options
Double click on Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only.
Select the radio button next to Disabled and click [OK]

gap

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙