Version 5.5 > SSP issues

bachelier
2/21/2006 11:46:45 AM
It was suggested I post these issues here on this site for help.

The main issue we have been having is that it appears SSP is being corrupted in some form.  The issue appears that after you start the program it loads and the main menu appears on the screen.  One of two things has happened.  The first is as soon as you try to select anything on the screen the program locks up (hour glass stays on).  The second is that we get a program not responding error.  This is the second or third occurance over a 6 month time period.  We have had to do a uninstall and a complete reinstall each time it happens.

In addition we have had several occasions where we had to delete the current display settings file under the Doc/Settings folder to get the program to work. 

Any suggestions or similar errors or fixes would be much appreciated.

Our system is an older desktop hooked to a network with an Admin account and a User account for SSP.  We just purchased a new computer and we are going to try and only have a User account and try and limit the activity on the network.

Thanks in advance.

osborn4
2/22/2006 4:50:33 AM
Come on folks, don't let me down. I was braggin' on you and told him to try to post here.

I know some of you have responded over at the Yahoo group.

There is an article in the knowledgebase about this
http://www.ssplash.com/Support/tabid/79/view/topic/forumid/16/postid/1261/Default.aspx
But I imagine you've already done that. But give it a peek.

Is there any chance you could try making the operators Power Users, like someone over at Yahoo suggested?

Lee
2/22/2006 8:31:51 AM
Posted By bachelier on 02/21/2006 11:46 AM
It was suggested I post these issues here on this site for help.

...We ... are going to try and only have a User account and try and limit the activity on the network.

1. 5.5 or V7 beta?
2. To what extent have you verified the datafiles path points to an accessible location?
3. I doubt your proposed experiment will correct anything. I have a 500MHz ssp machine with datafiles pointing to a network destination, using multiple accounts; isn't that similar to your setup? Sometimes SSP hangs while Windows/Office update or McAfee update are downloading in the background (and Task Manager may time it out) but after 3 or 5 minutes things clear up normally. Nothing is ever "corrupted" and reloading ssp is not necessary. This slow machine is the one we use the most for ssp development.

I know that is not helpful to you except to maybe point you away from blaming multiple accounts to hopefully help focus on what else could be the culprit.

Any possibility some external-to-ssp factors could be involved?

David
2/22/2006 10:49:00 AM
When you say it's an older computer how old is it? 

Do you have your data files stored on the local hard drive or are they on the network?

And most importantly, what other applications do you have running in the background?  I don't just mean applications like Word but also things like APC PowerShoot or Windows Firewall.  Sometimes the applications running in your task bar can cause trouble as well. 

bachelier
2/23/2006 10:54:46 AM
1. 5.5 or V7 beta? 5.5 version 5.3
2. To what extent have you verified the datafiles path points to an accessible location? Not sure what that means?
3. I doubt your proposed experiment will correct anything. I have a 500MHz ssp machine with datafiles pointing to a network destination, using multiple accounts; isn't that similar to your setup? Sometimes SSP hangs while Windows/Office update or McAfee update are downloading in the background (and Task Manager may time it out) but after 3 or 5 minutes things clear up normally. Nothing is ever "corrupted" and reloading ssp is not necessary. This slow machine is the one we use the most for ssp development.

Lee
2/24/2006 7:00:08 AM
Posted By bachelier on 02/23/2006 10:54 AM
2. To what extent have you verified the datafiles path points to an accessible location? Not sure what that means?
OK, that probably also means it is not the problem; it is probably still set to the default, which should be accessible.

But just by way of explanation, SSP lets you have all your data files (programs, slide shows, songs, etc.) in a location other than the default, and one location people choose is on a network external to the computer. If that external location is not accessible (system went down?) ssp cannot function completely.

bluepennylady
2/24/2007 4:26:52 PM
I need help with setup. I am in evaluation mode. Running SongShowPlus, a utility appears requesting the correct path for Songshow SBDAT01.MDB file. Now I am not a complete novice with computers or software. But for the life of me, I cannot find the correct path. I have installed the software twice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jud/bluepennylady

bluepennylady
2/24/2007 4:39:16 PM
The first configuration screen asks for the correct path for the SongBase 2000, SBDAT01.MDB file. I find no such file anywhere. I even used the search function and nothing appeared on the entire computer.

any ideas??

Judy/blue

Rod
2/24/2007 5:24:49 PM
Do you have Songbase 2000 installed on your computer???

If you dont, then perhaps you have installed the songbase support module, when its not needed, hence its looking for something it cant find..

Rod

bluepennylady
2/24/2007 5:28:47 PM
Thank you for responding.

I installed the entire CD onto the computer. 42 of 42 components. Three times to be exact. This third go around, I moved the new computer into my network and have checked for updates as well. I am unable to check for updates though using the evaluation version.

Should I uninstall and re-install again omitting all support modules?

Am I correct in presuming the "support" modules are precisely what they indicate, tech support for each module?

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
2/24/2007 5:35:35 PM

Perhaps I should ask if the songbase2000 is on the CD as I installed all the contents of the CD on the computer using the default installation folders.

Judy/blue

osborn4
2/24/2007 6:38:25 PM
Songbase 2000 is not included with SongShow Plus. it is a different product from a different company.

If you don't have Songbase 2000 on that computer, then you should go ahead and untinstall the Module.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove program and search for Module: Songbase or something like that and click remove.

That should take care of your error. You may need to do this with other modules for products that you don't have.

Good luck. Let us know if you have more questions.

bluepennylady
2/24/2007 6:48:14 PM

Thank you for responding.

I did uninstall the entire software and re-installed eliminating the songbase2000 as well as the support modules. That worked.  When tech support emails me the unlock code, I will be able to update the software.  Then I'll move onto to adding other modules.

Thanks for the help.

Judy/blue

Rod
2/24/2007 7:03:13 PM

good to hear...

If you have any other questions, you know where to ask...

Rod

bluepennylady
2/24/2007 7:15:11 PM
Thank you very much. I most certainly will drop by if I have additional questions.  I was hoping the boards were alive and people were around to lend a hand.  I can see they are. 

I really appreciate the help.

Judy/blue

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙