Version 5.5 > Making RTechnics Folder Private

wercampbells
2/24/2006 10:57:02 AM
I run Windows XP. When I install SSP 5.5 it places the RTechnics folder and underlying data files in the Shared Folders directory on the PC. I cannot make the RTechnics folder private. I there any way to install 5.5 and have the RTechnics folder placed in another location?

The reason I ask this is because I have a Guest user account and do not want the SSP stuff accessible from this account. Thanks! <><

osborn4
2/24/2006 12:35:17 PM
So you have a guest account to allow other folks to sign onto the projection computer for purposes other than projecting? Wow.

There's a configuration option in SSP that will allow you to move the data files anywhere you want. That might do what you want it to. And you should be able to use Windows security to set it up so that Guest doesn't have access to anything in the folders.

iamgap
2/24/2006 1:20:52 PM
Posted By wercampbells on 02/24/2006 10:57 AM
I run Windows XP. When I install SSP 5.5 it places the RTechnics folder and underlying data files in the Shared Folders directory on the PC. I cannot make the RTechnics folder private. I there any way to install 5.5 and have the RTechnics folder placed in another location?

The reason I ask this is because I have a Guest user account and do not want the SSP stuff accessible from this account. Thanks! <><

If you have XP Pro, and common file permissions (or whatever it is called) is turned off, you can place deny permissions on the R-Technics folder for the guest account.

If you need further assistance with this let me know and I will expound further when I get home. I don't have XP here at work, so I cannot walk through the exact method at this time.

gap

wercampbells
2/24/2006 2:31:30 PM
Thanks Milton. Where can I find the configuration option?

wercampbells
2/24/2006 4:28:00 PM

Thanks Gap,

Please provide the walkthrough at your earliest convenience. Thanks! <><

Lee
2/25/2006 7:20:57 AM
He may be referring to Tools > Utilities > Data Files Setup > Next > Option B. But I am not sure of your entire problem or objective and don't know whether that will accomplish everything you want done.

osborn4
2/25/2006 8:04:10 AM
Posted By Lee on 02/25/2006 7:20 AM
He may be referring to Tools > Utilities > Data Files Setup > Next > Option B. But I am not sure of your entire problem or objective and don't know whether that will accomplish everything you want done.
Thanks Lee. That's what I was thinking of. But I didn't have SSP in front of me to get the exact steps. 

He might be able to move the things from the All Users folders to what he considers a more secure place. Just one idea to toss out there.

Of course the real answer would be to not allow guest access to the projection computer. Just the concept makes me nervous.

iamgap
2/25/2006 6:04:12 PM
Posted By wercampbells on 02/24/2006 4:28 PM

Thanks Gap,

Please provide the walkthrough at your earliest convenience. Thanks! <><

Open My Computer
Click the Tools menu and select Folder Options...
Select  the View tab and scroll to the bottom of the Advanced settings: window
Uncheck Use simple file sharing (Recommended)
Click Apply and OK
Click the Search button in My Computer and search for R-Technics
Do the following to each of the folders that appear:
Rick-click and select properties
Click the security tab
Click the Add... button and type guest in the Enter object names to select box
Click Check names button and click OK
The Guest account should be highlighted
Place a checkmark in the top box under Deny
Click Apply and OK

This should make it so SSP cannot be opened by a person logged on with the guest account. It will also keep them from being able to alter the folders SSP is kept in by default.

While doing this, you should also add Authenticated User to each folder with Full Control checked. The Deny for guest will over-ride Full Control for Authenticated User.

gap

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙