Version 5.5 > Edit Song Error

Karen39
3/5/2006 1:29:11 PM
Usually when I edit a song, I have no problems and am able to edit the lyrics, save the song and then they appear on the screens while we're even singing the song. However, with any new songs we have entered, I will edit the lyrics and when I go to save it, it tells me, "song already exists in the database".  So, it won't let me save it.  I hit cancel and then if I go to another song and then back to the song I tried to edit, the changes will be there.  However, I need to be able to edit it on the fly like I always have been able to in the past.  We don't have time during a song for me to exit the song, click on another item and go back to that song.

osborn4
3/5/2006 2:53:57 PM
I've never had to edit lyrics on the fly, so I can't help.

But, it does seem like I've seen a similiar problem discussed elsewhere.

Karen39
3/5/2006 6:07:08 PM
Posted By osborn4 on 03/05/2006 2:53 PM
I've never had to edit lyrics on the fly, so I can't help.

But, it does seem like I've seen a similiar problem discussed elsewhere.

It is fun editing them on the fly!  It usually happens when we need to add or change a word.  I especially like it on Sunday mornings because the choir and front line singers will notice and you will see them smile.  You have to be quick about it though.  During our invitation song, we have a special thing we do.  Our Pastor never knows which slide to end the song on so I put a period on the part of the song that shows he can end it there.  If I forget, I will add it at the last second.  You'll see him look at the words and then he'll look back up and the period will be there

iamgap
3/6/2006 6:58:58 PM
I have noticed that if I edit a song on the fly that the transitions become abrupt. It still has the transition, but it is very quick.

Our Pastor just holds his hand up behind his back, and the MD stops at the end of that verse or chorus. It makes it a bit tough on the operator, as they will often move to the next slide, and then have to Ctrl-+ to the blank slide.

gap

Karen39
3/6/2006 7:01:07 PM
Well, I can't have this.  It'll cause all kinds of delays.  I don't know why it is doing it all of a sudden either when it hasn't before.  Something is wrong, it is not a stutter or delay, but it isn't working. 

Rod
3/7/2006 6:09:02 AM
Posted By Karen39 on 03/05/2006 1:29 PM
Usually when I edit a song, I have no problems and am able to edit the lyrics, save the song and then they appear on the screens while we're even singing the song. However, with any new songs we have entered, I will edit the lyrics and when I go to save it, it tells me, "song already exists in the database".  So, it won't let me save it.  I hit cancel and then if I go to another song and then back to the song I tried to edit, the changes will be there.  However, I need to be able to edit it on the fly like I always have been able to in the past.  We don't have time during a song for me to exit the song, click on another item and go back to that song.

Is what Karen is referring to..

Rod

Karen39
3/7/2006 6:23:51 AM
Thank you, Rod for clarifying that. 

Lee
3/7/2006 7:24:39 AM
Sorry - is the issue something I missed because it got lost in the mush, that it is the saving only of a "new" song that does this, but all previously existing songs work exactly as you expect?

Karen39
3/7/2006 7:31:16 AM
Posted By Lee on 03/07/2006 7:24 AM
Sorry - is the issue something I missed because it got lost in the mush, that it is the saving only of a "new" song that does this, but all previously existing songs work exactly as you expect?

Yes, that is the weird thing.  Any of the older songs work, but it is only happening with the brand new songs.  I'll have to further test this to make sure. 

Lee
3/7/2006 7:44:55 AM
Hmmm. OK, here is a dumb question: when does a "new" song cease to be new to become an existing song that works properly? I guess I'm trying to understand how the system knows that song is "old" so work properly, but this song is "new" so give Karen a headache?

rpope
3/7/2006 7:49:55 AM
Try rebuilding the song indexes.  Tools > Database Utilities > SongShow Plus > Rebuild Indexes. 

Then try editing them again.  The idea that the song already exists makes me believe that the index file is not working right.

Karen39
3/7/2006 7:59:47 AM
Great idea!  I'm going to try that. 

wizardkees
3/7/2006 12:32:13 PM
Karen's problem of getting the error message ""song already exists in the database" after editing is rather alarming with V7, as this is one of the problems we were having with 5.5, which is why we upgraded to V7. Updating the index did not do a thing for us with 5.5. I hope you have better luck with V7!

osborn4
3/7/2006 12:46:25 PM
Jsut so you know, Karen is running 5.5, not 7.0.

Karen39
3/7/2006 1:36:03 PM
I'm running 5.5 and I wasn't able to duplicate that error on my laptop at home.  I'll try it at church again tomorrow night and then try to rebuild the indexes. 

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙