Version 8.0 > Setting Slides to 16:9 ratio for Program Display

MarkSmith
4/22/2014 8:34:05 PM
I can't seem to get SSP8 to display my slides in 16:9 ratio on my program display. Under Settings/Display my Primary Monitor is set to 1366x768 but my slides show up in 4:3 ratio. What have I missed?

George
4/23/2014 9:25:15 AM
Mark,
To clarify, when you say "Program Display" are you talking about the projected output or the windows/panes that appear in the Control Panel?  If the latter, please provide the window/pane header name so that we know exactly where you are talking about.

It is possible if you have the embedded display turned on that could be the issue.  It has it's own aspect setting.

If this info does not resolve your issue you can contact support and show them the issue.

Mark Smith
4/23/2014 10:37:44 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I mean the Presenter Window not the projected display.

The slides are in the sections called Media Control and Display Monitor.

George
4/23/2014 4:20:02 PM
OK Mark,

Now that we know where we are looking there are a few other questions:

Are you on the current 4/18 build of SSP8?

Is the aspect ratio off with all content of just certain items?

At this point the best thing to do is contact the support team so they can check all relevant settings and views.

Mark Smith
4/23/2014 8:08:06 PM
George, thanks for the reply.

I ended up calling Support today and it seems the capability that I cannot locate doesn't exist. Somehow it was left out of SSP8. Quite amazing, actually, that no one caught this in all the beta testing, but apparently they didn't.

The 'work-around' is to embed the display at 16:9 while building slides, then turn off the embedded display to project.

The tech suggested I make a request for the 16:9 aspect ratio in the program builder views (on the Presenter Window or Presenter Display).

dreece
4/23/2014 9:48:05 PM
I'm confused about what the problem is. The Media Control panel and the Display Monitor will match the aspect ratio of the actual display window they are associated with.

Mark Smith
4/24/2014 7:32:16 AM
Doug, they don't unless I am actually attached to an external 16:9 monitor. I am normally not doing this but have a laptop with built-in display for the Presenter Window. The slides com out at 4:3, even though the Presenter Window shows a 16:9 ratio under Settings/Display.

I called Tech Support about this and the person I talked to confirmed what i was seeing and suggested I make a wish on the Forum to restore this capability.

So it boils down to having a 16:9 display on the laptop that I use to present with that SSP8 recognizes as 16:9. Perhaps this is a problem only when one uses a laptop as the location for the Presenter Window and not a desktop with an external display? I can try to answer further questions or someone if free to look in on my set up and see if I have missed something. Again, Tech Support seemed to think it was a real problem and the capability to do this we have in SSP7 is missing in SSP8.

George
4/24/2014 10:17:46 AM
Mark,
I too am a little confused about what you are doing/looking for....

Are you using the embedded display on your laptop?

If so there is a setting to set the aspect ratio for all embedded displays in the Display settings.

I will touch base with support since they talked to you and verify what was discussed and let you know if I am off base.

Mark Smith
4/24/2014 11:31:30 AM
Are you using the embedded display on your laptop?

I am trying NOT to do this, but embedding the display is the only way to actually get SSP8 to show my slides in 16:9 ratio in the Presenter panel. That, however, means I have to un-embed the display to then project. When I am hooked up to an external 16:9 display the slides in the Presenter windows are 16:9. As soon as I unplug from the external display they are back to 4:3.

If I do not embed the display on my laptop I can find no way (neither could Tech Support) to let me preview my slides in 16:9. It defaults to 4:3 and there doesn't seem to be a setting to change this. For some reason it works just fine in SSP7.

dreece
4/24/2014 11:46:45 AM
So the problem occurs when you are in a single display mode, but are not embedding the display window. What is the resolution of your laptop's display? It sounds like that is the resolution that is being used single, in this case, the display window is being set to that window rather than your secondary monitor (which isn't connected at that time).

dreece
4/24/2014 12:03:11 PM
After reading through this and thinking it through a bit more, I think I know what is going on. In version 7, there is an option to embed the display window when there is only on display device on the system, but to use the secondary display when it exists. And when embedded, it can emulate 16:9 even if the primary display is 4:3.

This option doesn't exist in 8, probably because it was just overlooked. We'll investigate more and see if it's reasonable to add that option back in (i.e, what is the stability risk).

However, version 8 provides a number of new options you can consider. In this case, you can actually specify the exact placement of the display window. So another work-around you can consider is to set the exact coordinates of the display window to match the location of the secondary display when it's plugged in. In this way, you will always get a 16:9 aspect ratio without having to switch back to the "embedded" mode, even when the secondary display is not connected.

Mark Smith
4/24/2014 12:16:56 PM
Posted By Doug Reece on 24 Apr 2014 12:03 PM
After reading through this and thinking it through a bit more, I think I know what is going on. In version 7, there is an option to embed the display window when there is only on display device on the system, but to use the secondary display when it exists. And when embedded, it can emulate 16:9 even if the primary display is 4:3.

This makes sense as I have embedded the display in SSP7. It obviously doesn't create the display problem SSP8 has when doing this.

This option doesn't exist in 8, probably because it was just overlooked. We'll investigate more and see if it's reasonable to add that option back in (i.e, what is the stability risk).

For others who are migrating from SSP7 who may encounter this it would be a plus.

However, version 8 provides a number of new options you can consider. In this case, you can actually specify the exact placement of the display window. So another work-around you can consider is to set the exact coordinates of the display window to match the location of the secondary display when it's plugged in. In this way, you will always get a 16:9 aspect ratio without having to switch back to the "embedded" mode, even when the secondary display is not connected.

Can you explain further or is there somewhere I can go to learn how to do this? It isn't obvious to me what to do.

Mark Smith
4/25/2014 7:44:14 AM
"However, version 8 provides a number of new options you can consider. In this case, you can actually specify the exact placement of the display window. So another work-around you can consider is to set the exact coordinates of the display window to match the location of the secondary display when it's plugged in. In this way, you will always get a 16:9 aspect ratio without having to switch back to the "embedded" mode, even when the secondary display is not connected."

Bump! Does anyone know how to do what Doug is suggesting?

dreece
4/25/2014 11:27:30 AM
I'm sorry. I need to walk back what I said earlier. The capability that I was referring to existed at one point during the development process, but was later removed because it seemed too complicated to use. We'll need to review this issue more closely and determine a course of action.

Mark Smith
4/25/2014 12:22:06 PM
Posted By Doug Reece on 25 Apr 2014 11:27 AM
I'm sorry. I need to walk back what I said earlier. The capability that I was referring to existed at one point during the development process, but was later removed because it seemed too complicated to use. We'll need to review this issue more closely and determine a course of action.

Thank you. I will await your reply.

George
5/7/2014 4:12:44 PM
This issue has been addressed and should be behaving better in the 05/06/2014 build.

This does not work exactly the same as in SSP7 as it does not auto detect the absence of a projection display and automatically embed.

That said, what you can do now is set in the Display settings what aspect ratio you want if no projection display is connected.  This function is leveraging the Embedded Aspect Ratio setting.  If you set the Embedded Aspect Ratio to the desired size (same as the projection display) the thumbnails should match when the projection display is not connected.

Please confirm this when you update to the latest build.

Mark Smith
5/7/2014 10:08:17 PM
Posted By George Taylor on 07 May 2014 04:12 PM
This issue has been addressed and should be behaving better in the 05/06/2014 build.

This does not work exactly the same as in SSP7 as it does not auto detect the absence of a projection display and automatically embed.

That said, what you can do now is set in the Display settings what aspect ratio you want if no projection display is connected.  This function is leveraging the Embedded Aspect Ratio setting.  If you set the Embedded Aspect Ratio to the desired size (same as the projection display) the thumbnails should match when the projection display is not connected.

Please confirm this when you update to the latest build.

Setting the display for a default ratio is a fine solution (as in MS PowerPoint). Tomorrow or the next day I hope to see it in operation and will get back here. Thanks to those who helped get this working.

Mark Smith
5/8/2014 7:56:48 PM
I downloaded and installed the update and the screen ratios are now perfect in the Presenter Window. Thank you!

wkdreskin
10/22/2014 9:06:17 AM
Hi. I'd appreciate a step-by-step workthrough to achieve a 16:9 display on my 4:3 desktop without connecting to the 16:9 projector.

Thanks,
Billy

Mark Smith
10/22/2014 9:59:05 AM
Billy,
Go to the Settings Menu, choose Display.
On the window that opens, select the tab on the left that says "Display Window 1"
Scroll down to find the section called "Embedded Aspect Ratio"
Select 16:9
Hit Apply then Close.
You should now be able to work with 16:9 slides while on your computer that has a different display ratio.

iamgap
10/23/2014 6:09:03 PM

We recently had our homecoming service, and I ended up going to the church to build the SSB and program because of this issue. In SSP7, you could set SSB to build a 16:9 SSB on a 4:3 system. I simply could not find this switch in SSP8. Since we only have 4:3 in our Sanctuary, I probably won't have to worry about this until next October, but it would be nice to see this addressed in case I need that option again before then. Thanks!

Mark Smith
10/23/2014 6:27:46 PM
Gary, please see my response above. It is fixed.

iamgap
10/23/2014 6:36:15 PM
Posted By Mark Smith on 23 Oct 2014 06:27 PM

Gary, please see my response above. It is fixed.

This requires turning the embedded display on and off, and it is not a setting within SSB. It is helpful to know this (hopefully I will remember when it is needed), but it is not what I was looking for. Thanks!

George
10/24/2014 12:10:44 PM
All,
There are two different thoughts going on here so I wanted to address them both....

What Gary is referring to is the Slide Builder canvas settings, which drive the aspect ratio of the edit area for the Slide Builder.  This can be changed if your target destination aspect ratio is different from the machine you are editing on.   This may be useful when someone is creating content on a home or Workstation system and then content is moved to the Projection system.

These settings are still available in the Slide Builder:
Launch Slide Builder
Select Settings > Preferences > Edit Window
Choose the appropriate Canvas Aspect Ratio for the destination system.
Save and Close

What the others were discussing is getting the Media Control and other embedded display indicators to display a different aspect ratio in the SongShow Plus Presenter window than what was currently in use or connected.
This is a scenario that comes up when a user has a system (usually a laptop) that they are editing/viewing on and they want to run through what it will look like plugged into the destination projector (different aspect ratio) without having the projector actually plugged in.

This has to be set in the Embedded Display settings as previously indicated.

Hopefully this clears up the difference. 

iamgap
10/25/2014 8:11:05 AM

Thanks George!!!

I am not sure why I couldn't find that last week, but this will definitely help in the future.

In relation to this topic, I guess I was confused by the word slides, and thought the topic was SSB. As far as embedded display, that would be the only logical place to change the 'practice' display that shows up in the SSP control screen.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙