Version 5.5 > margins and song layout

wizardkees
3/6/2006 3:38:58 PM
What is the relationship between margins in Display Properties--Global, program or item and the song layout ?

How does one affect the other or do they?

Is there a way of making Margins and the song layout page fit my projection screens?

osborn4
3/6/2006 3:50:11 PM
Do you mean the screen with the little boxes that show where the lyrics title and such will apprear? That all occurs within the margins. If you need special margins for a song, that can be adjusted as well.

I'm not sure what the last question means. Hopefully your projector fits your projection screen and the margins are used to place the text (and backgrounds, if that option is checked) where you want them on the screen.

iamgap
3/6/2006 7:16:04 PM
If I understand this correctly, no, SSP cannot change the total image sent to your screen, only the size of the objects inside the background. Unless there is a feature I have yet to discover.

To increase or decrease the size of the background you will need to adjust with your projectors lens or the setup menus.

gap

osborn4
3/7/2006 5:01:33 AM
Several of the background settings have a "show within margins" checkbox that could be used.

Lee
3/7/2006 6:58:04 AM
Posted By wizardkees on 03/06/2006 3:38 PM
What is the relationship between margins in Display Properties--Global, program or item and the song layout ?
The so-called "global" settings are the default that is used when nothing else is specified; whereas the edit item display properties apply to that program item only. Margins apply to the total image and background, whereas song layout applies to specific objects on the display and not the background.

Most of the time you'll keep margins at 0% but other settings can be useful when you are layering backgrounds, say, a static image background at full screen and a video moving background in a window over that background, so the background becomes a frame around the video.

I frequently use song layout this way: a particular background might have a theme you want to emphasize, say, maybe a cross or a candle on the left side. You can adjust the song layout box so the lyrics don't cover the cross or candle and appear only on the right. Or, again, the background may be the ocean with a hozizon showing; it's annoying to have some lyrics above the horizon and some below, so I'll adjust the layout box so its top is on the horizon; this keeps all lyrics over the water (as a side note, I tend to avoid lyrics positioned high above any scenery, but it is OK on top when an abstract background is used).

I also constantly position the title, author, and copyright differently between songs by moving those layout boxes around. I seldom depend on the default, but the defaults are there just in case.

Lee
3/7/2006 7:05:59 AM
Posted By wizardkees on 03/06/2006 3:38 PM
Is there a way of making Margins and the song layout page fit my projection screens?
Please clarify what problem you are having...

wizardkees
3/7/2006 7:06:24 AM
Ok, sorry I did not express myself clearly.

First, our projected image fits our screens just fine. That is not the question.

F11 > Global Display Properties > Margin a "screen" appears and sets the margins of ? what? You can adjust this "screen" by grabbing the handles or by setting specific percentages.

But wait, there's more! You can also adjust margins within each program (rt click > Dsiplay Properties > Layout > see "screen with yellow handles" ) or within each song (rt click > Display Properties > Layout > see "screen with yellow handles").

So, How do these three margins interface or interact or affect one another? (Yes, I understand the hierarchy--that individual song display properties override Gobal DP. )

If you set the blackout or blank slide to a color and these margins --Global--Program --Item --do not match you will actually get a colored rectangle within a black rectangle. That tells me there is some relationship between these margins.

It is always lots of fun to guess if the line is fitting the screen or if the first and last letters are hanging over the edge. On my workstation they look fine, but I get to church and sometimes I have guessed wrong. No, I do not use Shrink/Grow to fit, as I do not like that function, so please, don't go there.

So, back to the original question: What is the relationship between margins in Display Properties--Global, program or item and the song layout ?

How does one affect the other or do they?

wizardkees
3/7/2006 7:12:50 AM
Thank you, Lee. Your excplanation made sense. I did not see your post until after I had sent my second explanation of my question.

wtaylor
3/11/2006 8:08:21 AM
Is there a way of projecting two slides, one over the other, at the same time? Almost like adding clip art. I have a picture that I would like to project on top of another slide, but have the words to the song on the background slide behind and to the left of the picture.
Thanks for any help.

Wayne Taylor
Serving with Village Missions
New Life Christian Church
Cable, OH

iamgap
3/11/2006 4:42:40 PM
Unfortunately layering like this is not currently available in v5.5. I believe they are working towards that with v7.

Based on the class I was part of in Charleston, SC, SSP does things in layers, and certain layers are closer to the top than others. The text is always the top layer, so nothing can go over it.

If you are beta testing v7, ask this question over there and see what is coming in v7.

gap

osborn4
3/11/2006 4:52:00 PM
If this is an occasional want, you could do it in the Slide Show Builder, reacreating the text of the song in the slide show and placing the picture where you want it.

You may be able to look at the watermark feature that is in 5.5 and see if it will do what you want. I can't tell if you want the picture there all the time, or if you want it to appear as well.

If you just want the picture on top of the other picture, then you could combine the 2 pictures in a graphic editing program and use it as the background.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙