Version 5.5 > Backup / restore

Rod
3/7/2006 6:03:29 AM
http://www.ssplash.com/Forums/tabid/76/forumid/1/postid/2716/view/topic/Default.aspx

Following on from Karen's statement. "The backup feature has never worked for us."

I used to have problems Backing up our song database, what I found was that at some stage someone had entered some songs with "illegal" characters..  Like using " / " and or others, this caused the backup to fail.

I tried to package the songs externally using winzip, what I found was that winzip was able to tell me exactly what songs or (files) were causing problems, I was then able to go and manually check each song and find the "problem".

After correcting or deleting about 8 songs (out of 1250 songs). It now works fine,

I found out that while I was on holiday some other helpful people had entered new songs, not knowing how the program worked, they really made a mess of the database, although I went through and deleted the songs they had entered three or sometimes four times  I didnt think about other new songs they had entered, I also realised that from then on, my back up wouldnt work, I never thought to put it down to incorrect data entry that was causing our problems...

Anyway just thought this might help, or give you somewhere to start looking..

Rod

Karen39
3/7/2006 6:11:59 AM
I know, I need to do that.  The interesting part is that I am the only one who has ever entered songs and so it would have been me that had inserted the illegal characters.  It is possible that I have done that, but not probable because I do know not to do that.  I do use the ( ) feature quite a bit.  Do you think that would cause it? 

osborn4
3/7/2006 6:24:50 AM
Another possibility. Is the media your are backing up to large enough? Or is it running out of room?

Jsut another thought for a generic failure message.

Rod
3/7/2006 6:29:05 AM
I cant remember exactly what they used.. I think it could have been - in the title, or # or * or even / somewhere...

I put it in the too hard basket for ages then just sat down one day.. used win zip, tried to zip the song database directory, when it stopped and bought up and error.. IE unable to zip file.. " Rain down". I noted the error, open ssp and looked at the song, then usually found something like.. title "Rain down - xyz" or in one of the verses they put ** at the end of the verse to indicate the ending or something like that.. Fixed the problem or deleted the song altogether. then started win zip again...

surprisingly it didn't take that long to find the problems and sort out the mess...

Mind you, they shouldn't have been entering the songs at all. but thats what happens when you leave someone else in charge that has different standards (too lazy to come in early to enter data..) from yourself.... and then you have people entering the songs that think its like power point and you put each one in every week.... AAAHHHH.. what a mess one song was entered 6 times..  but anyway...

give it a try, and see what you find... it might only be one song???

Rod

Rod
3/7/2006 6:30:12 AM
I think the ( ) are fine to use..

wizardkees
3/7/2006 7:19:46 AM
I have not tried the backup/restore, but it makes sense that it would transfer your display properties with it.

In Package to go, the display properties will be overridden by the display properties set on the receiving computer. That I did do. The "sending" computer had been set up with basic, our custom default display properties. The workstation computer had the program newly downloaded. I was hoping that by using package to go I would be able to see the dsiplay parameters and just carry them over to the workstation. Song layout stayed the same, but background, margins, font color, title/author/copyright parameters defaulted to the workstation.

Lee
3/7/2006 7:34:33 AM
Note also that whatever title you give to a song becomes part of its file name. Therefore I suspect any character that is illegal in a Windows file name is illegal in the title such as slashes.

Another issue I wonder about is having characters in the title that may confuse a search algorithm that uses regular expressions.

I do not know to what extent, if any, that SSP filters these characters or generates error messages when a song is created.

dreece
3/7/2006 11:28:52 AM
One thing that I have found is that there are some characters that are legal in a file name in some cases, but not others -- which can create quite a problem to say the least. The main culprits I have seen are the alternate characters to single and double quotes. This can be used in a file name, but can choke the backup / restore utility.

rkresge
3/7/2006 12:46:05 PM
The issue of illegal characters in the song titles bit me during our transition from SSP 4.x to 5.x.  If I remember correctly it came about because under SSP 4.x we were storing our new songs in CCLI's SongSelect database, but discovered quickly that we needed to store them in the SSP database under SSP 5.x if we wanted to store display settings with the songs.  Apparently you could get away with some things in the SongSelect database that you cannot get away with in the SSP song database.

Karen39
3/7/2006 1:45:35 PM
So far I am through the C's will no illegal characters in the titles, but I do know we have tons of illegal characters in the reference areas of the songs, could it be because of those?

Karen39
3/7/2006 1:59:52 PM
I'm trying to back up to a drive with tons of room and here is the first error:  "unable to backup images, do you want to continue?"

osborn4
3/7/2006 2:09:22 PM
That's certianly informative and helpful.

Karen39
3/7/2006 2:31:35 PM
Well, that's the message I am getting with everything. 

Rod
3/7/2006 4:02:39 PM
Thats why I used win zip, the error messages are alot more detailed..

Try going to your image directory and zipping it. see what error messages are bought up then, might have more details as to which file is the problem??

Just a thought..

Rod

Karen39
3/7/2006 4:28:21 PM
Good idea, I will try that.

dreece
3/8/2006 12:08:41 AM
Posted By Karen39 on 03/07/2006 1:59 PM
"unable to backup images, do you want to continue?"
This would be a problem associated with image files, not songs.

Karen39
3/8/2006 5:30:08 AM
I know, but that is the error I get for the video files and image files and song files.

osborn4
3/8/2006 6:20:42 AM
It really sounds like the WinZIP test is probably a good next step.

It will be interesting to see what results you have with that.

Karen39
3/8/2006 8:10:01 AM
I'll try that later on today.  I hope I have winzip installed on my laptop.

iamgap
3/8/2006 9:17:34 AM
Posted By Karen39 on 03/08/2006 8:10 AM
I'll try that later on today.  I hope I have winzip installed on my laptop.

If you don't, and you don't want to buy the latest and greatest, go to www.oldversion.com. An alternative that I like is PowerArchiver. I guess I just like the UI better.

gap

osborn4
3/8/2006 9:30:06 AM
If you really want to use WinZIP you can download the demo.

But there are plenty of freeware alternatives out there. I haven't landed on one in particular yet. I always just search for one and download it whenever I need one on a new machine.

Karen39
3/15/2006 4:02:47 PM
Ok, I downloaded winzip and zipped up the images folder.  I didn't get any error messages.  The only thing I noticed is that some of the files are photoshop and paintshop files.  Would that cause the backup to fail in SSP?

Karen39
3/18/2006 3:11:58 PM
Anybody???  I am unable to use the backup restore utility on my laptop at home and also on the computer at church.

David
3/20/2006 10:06:56 AM
Karen,

Just a thought, those files that are photo shop/pain shop... are any of them in the CMYK color palet?

If you just copy those out to a different folder does that change anything?

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙