Version 5.5 > video cards-higher end cards you are using

wtaylor
3/9/2006 10:12:14 AM
There was a time last year that Fowler recommended a card with 128 meg of ram on it because the higher ram card(256 meg) had a problem with SSP.
My three questions:
1.  What higher end cards are working now?
2.  What advantage is it to go from a 128 meg PCIe card that is capable of doing motion backgrounds to a higher end card- speed, colors, clarity, functions, etc?
3.   Will it be advantageous to have a higher end card(more than 128 meg of memory) with SSP?

Thanks!
Wayne Taylor
New Life Christian Church
Cable, OH
"Sometimes the Lord calms the storm. Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child."

iamgap
3/9/2006 6:19:54 PM
I have a 9600Pro/256. I am looking into upgrading the card, and have been doing some research. From what I have learned the 128mb cards generally have faster memory than the 256mb cards (all other things being equal). I have also learned that the only advantage of more memory is to store up "colors" that you might use. As I understand it, with SSP, it is more advantageous to have a faster card than one that can store more stuff.

Basically, if you have a 9800Pro/128 for the same price as a 9600Pro/256, go for the 9800.

All that being said, from the experiences I have had with the ATI chip, I am leaning towards the NVidia chip. I just can't remember off the top of my head what their equivelants to the 9600 and 9800 are. I am also bound to the AGP buss unless something goes wrong with the MoBo and I can convince Dell to replace it with a PCIe one.

gap

Rick Everingham
3/9/2006 8:17:23 PM
I am using an ASUS ATI X800 Pro, AGP 256mb

dreece
3/9/2006 11:54:27 PM
There were problems with some mid-range ATI Xxxx series cards with 128MB of memory that were PCI-Express running under Windows XP-SP2. The problems were associated with the preview windows, not the primary display window. The higher end ATI cards were not a problem.

wtaylor
3/10/2006 7:08:58 AM
So Mr. Reece(as well as others with insight into advanced video cards),
1. Please tell us a couple high end cards that you would recommend and use. If we are
going to invest in a higher end card, we would like to have your counsel, as the developer
of the software, as to what would be advantagious to us.

2. Also, what will a higher end PCIe card do that a current PCIe card with 128 meg,
that also does currently support motion backgrounds, cannot do? Is it speed, a
better picture, or what?

3. Please share some of your insights, especially since "7" will soon be on our computers. That would be a
good time to maximize our video cards.
Thanks and God Bless!!!
Wayne Taylor
New Life Christian Church
Cable, OH

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙