Version 5.5 > Help with monitor display options?

Karen39
3/10/2006 5:11:20 PM
I have another monitor at home so I decided to hook up SSP to see if it is performing correctly on my laptop.  After I hooked up the (new) monitor, it says my laptop is #2 and the new monitor is #1.  I extended my desktop onto the new monitor and everything looks great.  However, when SSP opens, it opens onto the new monitor instead of my laptop.  Is that because these monitors are identified incorrectly?  Is there a way for me to tell windows my laptop should be #1 and the new monitor should be #2?

thanks,

Karen

Karen39
3/10/2006 5:17:59 PM
Woah!  That didn't work!  My laptop started flashing wildly like a disco show.  I remember that it did this before and I talked to some people about it and updated the graphics card, etc.  but never tested it.  I will try to find a solution.  Have you guys ever heard of this???

rkresge
3/10/2006 5:38:12 PM
Click on Display->Change Monitor Options.  Everything you need is right there.

Karen39
3/10/2006 5:59:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I have been there about a hundred times.  I just updated the driver and the computer still flashes like crazy, the whole screen flashes.  Like a light show!  I ran a hardware test and here is what it says:

It wouldn't let me copy and paste it.  I am using a GE Force 6800.  It says everything is sufficient.  I am on a Dell Inspiron 9300.  First of all, after I updated the driver, SSP appears on the monitor I am displaying from.  So, if I drag it back to my laptop it seems to be ok and it can display images, but when I go to display a video, it freaks.  Any ideas? 

osborn4
3/11/2006 5:06:02 AM
I can't help you with the flashing. It sounds like something between the driver and the codec and the video playing software. Have you tried playing the video through Windows Media Player and see what happens?

As for the display switch up, there should be an option to "Use this monitor as my primary" Make user the screen that is selelcted is your laptop screen.

If SSP still shows up on the wrong monitor, drag it over to the primary monitor, then shut it down and bring it back up again. It should remember where it was the last time it shut down and go back to that location.

Good luck!

iamgap
3/11/2006 7:08:29 AM
Right Click the desktop and choose properties
Select the settings tab and click the indentify button
The laptop's onboard dsiplay should have a big 2 on it. If it does, click the Display icon that has a 2 on it
Put a checkmark in the box that says Use this device as the primary monitor. That will resolve the first issue.

To resolve the second issue try checking the monitor manufacture's website for drivers for that particular monitor. Believe it or not, that resolved one of the issues I was having with the Preview Panel a while back.

gap

Karen39
3/11/2006 7:32:39 AM
I think I fixed that yesterday, but ssp was still opening up on the 2nd monitor.  Also, it still flashes.  The flashing is really what concerns me at this point.  It did that before when I tried to use it to display motion backgrounds. 

osborn4
3/11/2006 7:49:42 AM
Could be a monitor driver, like Gary was saying.

Have you tried dragging WMP over to that window and playing a video in it to see how it reacts?

Karen39
3/11/2006 8:40:33 AM
What do u mean a monitor driver?  The video card driver?  I updated that yesterday.  I'll try to drag over wmp and see how that works this afternoon.

Thanks!

iamgap
3/11/2006 4:21:40 PM
For instance I have an Envision 775e monitor. I did a google for Envision monitor support, and then went to their site and searched for divers. I located the one for 775e and downloaded it. I then installed it by going to Display Properties>Settings>Advanced>Monitor>Properties>Drivers>Update driver... and using the wizard to istall the drivers.

gap

Rod
3/13/2006 6:46:04 AM
The flashing sounds like a refresh rate problem,

I have seen this before when using older CRT monitors with too high refresh rates for it to handle.
Try lowering the refresh rate for the 2nd monitor..

Rod

Karen39
3/26/2006 2:33:36 PM
Ok, I hooked up laptop back up.  I really need this to work in case our projection computer goes out.  I played the video files on the display monitor and they played fine.  The refresh rate on both computers is 60.  That's the lowest I can go.  Any other ideas?  When I play anything with any type of moving background, my laptop goes crazy and the screen flashes on and off.  The display looks ok, but is stuttery. 

mikedawwg
3/26/2006 4:23:59 PM
Can you be a little more specific about "laptop going crazy"? I mean, is it running around circles and bouncing off walls or...

Could you also tell me your laptop specs and what video card you have.

Also what resolution they are in, both laptop display and monitor.

If you can provide those, I may be able to better assist you, and probably have a better idea as to your stuttering.

I hook my laptop to my monitor and have no problems whatsoever.

What I have:

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB

Laptop Display: 1680x1050 32bit 60hz
Monitor Display: 1280x960 32bit 85hz

Of course, in projector mode, you will most likely want the refresh rate at 60hz (depending on what your projector can handle).

mike

Karen39
3/26/2006 5:29:02 PM
Posted By mikedawwg on 03/26/2006 4:23 PM
Can you be a little more specific about "laptop going crazy"? I mean, is it running around circles and bouncing off walls or...

Could you also tell me your laptop specs and what video card you have.

Also what resolution they are in, both laptop display and monitor.

If you can provide those, I may be able to better assist you, and probably have a better idea as to your stuttering.

I hook my laptop to my monitor and have no problems whatsoever.

What I have:

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB

Laptop Display: 1680x1050 32bit 60hz
Monitor Display: 1280x960 32bit 85hz

Of course, in projector mode, you will most likely want the refresh rate at 60hz (depending on what your projector can handle).

mike

Ok, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9300.  The graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce Go 6800.  The resolution on the laptop is 1440 x 900 and the resolution on the display monitor is 1024 x 768.  They're both at 32 bits and they're both at 60hz.  The stuttering is at church on the projection computer and due to the AV software installed.  This laptop has nothing to do with that. 

Here is what happens.  Everything is fine and SSP opens normally.  I have a song loaded with a motion background.  When I push the green triangle, my laptop screen starts flashing wildly before it is displayed on the other monitor.  After a few seconds, the display is normal on the display computer, but my laptop screen is still flashing.  The only way to get out of this is to try to see through the flashing and click on another item in the program that isn't moving.  I got this laptop a year ago and did try to use it for an outside service.  This happened then and I just worked around it with the flashing and then disabled all the motion backgrounds while the service was going on.  I'm sure the people standing behind me were thinking, "wow, a lightshow on her laptop!" 

Any ideas???

Karen39
3/26/2006 7:48:54 PM
I've spent hours on this today and still can't figure it out.  I've updated all the drivers and researched in gaming forums on the internet.  I have no clue why SSP motion won't work with this laptop.

Karen39
3/26/2006 8:16:23 PM
Ok,I fixed it. 

Can you believe it?  I can't!

Here is what I did.  I just checked the box that said disable highend graphics.  I'm not sure how this will affect everything, but now my motion backgrounds are all working.  I did get an alert that said "unable to preview dib image". 

Does this mean this laptop is not able to run highend graphics?  When I bought it from Dell a year ago I specifically gave them the specs I needed to run Songshow Plus with.  What isn't going to work?

mikedawwg
3/26/2006 9:11:43 PM
lol. well, it should work with high-end graphics enabled. my laptop i guess is a model or two lower (9100), but even so, GeForce 6800 should definitely be able to handle it well.

It's probably either bad drivers, or corrupt directx.

Suggestions:

1. Uninstall your current video drivers through add/remove programs. I'm almost positive there will be something there listed along the lines of "nvida display driver" or "display driver" or something like that. This is to ensure you removed the drivers and related programs.

2. Download the latest drivers for nvidia from www.nvidia.com (not from Dell). Click here.
It should work but if it doesn't for some reason, let me know.

3. Update to the latest DirectX 9.0c (February). Click there.

Also possible the SSP installation itself is somewhat corrupt. But let's see what happens first.

Hopefully that will solve the problem. If not, well, I'll see if I have more ideas then.

Blairness
3/26/2006 11:18:14 PM
Hi Karen,

The problem you are having sounds a lot like one we were having at my old church a while back, which I posted about on here: http://www.ssplash.com/Forums/tabid/76/forumid/1/postid/622/view/topic/Default.aspx
The response posted by "rpope" solved my problem. Maybe it will solve yours?

Posted By rpope on 08/18/2005 12:20 PM
Im going to hijack this thread and take us back to the problem...

If what Matt said did not work there is another issue that could be the cause.  Based on the info you gave Blair it sounds like an issue we saw with some video card drivers.  Most call it Video Mirror or full screen mode.  Its designed to do cool things on dual monitor systems with software not designed for dual monitor.  It just causes problems for SSP.

I have only seen this on nVidia cards.

Close SongShow Plus
Right click the desktop
Choose Properties
Choose the Settings tab
Click Advanced
Click on the tab that has your video card listed on it (mine says "GeForce FX 5600")
Select "Full Screen Video"
Under the option Full Screen Device" select "Disable".

Yours may look a little different depending on the driver version.

Hope that helps

Ricky

Blair

Karen39
3/27/2006 5:49:13 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! 

I disabled full screen video and it works! I was even able to enable highend graphics.  I remember reading that thread a long time ago and I had thought that I had tried disabling it, but I guess I must not have.  Or maybe I had to disable it on the projection computer.  Anyways, thank you!!!!!

mikedawwg
3/27/2006 6:55:02 AM
Oh yeah, forgot nVidia had that option.

Karen39
3/27/2006 7:07:28 AM
I just knew it had to be something easy.  I spent hours and hours and knew it would be simple.

mikedawwg
3/27/2006 7:30:26 AM
I know don't you hate that?

Just like MY stutter problem (which was solved). After spending hours of re-encoding different videos and even doing a reformat (which I kinda do all the time...but it only takes 20 mins..lol), installing official drivers, etc. Then it suddenly dawned on me that the whole problem was that Vsync was turned on. *rollseyes*

I'm glad you got it fixed Karen.

Blairness
3/28/2006 5:20:31 AM

Glad that fixed it Karen. Thanks to "rpope" for solving both our problems!
The church I am now involved in, doesn't use SSP (it's alright, they don't use any competitors product either ), but I still check on this forum, and it's obviously paid off

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙