Version 9.1 > OBS Streaming/Stage Monitor/NDI Tools

rkresge
4/21/2021 10:53:08 AM

Thanks to Covid, we need to get song lyrics and other content from our projection computer (currently SSP 8.4 upgrading to 9.1) to our streaming computer which runs OBS Studio. Is there any reason why the Stage Monitor output from SSP cannot be sent to the streaming computer using NDI tools (specifically NDI Scan Converter on the computer running SSP)? That way on the OBS computer we could filter out the black background and superimpose the white text over the steam.  

Thanks for any input!

Roger

dreece
4/21/2021 1:00:00 PM

Roger,

SSP 9.1 Ultimate Edition has the capability to send a stream directly to an NDI receiver. Were you aware of this, or are you looking for a different solution?

rkresge
4/21/2021 1:35:08 PM

Aware of it, but facing budget constraints in a Covid world. I assume we're looking at an annual cost increase to move to Ultimate, correct?

rkresge
4/21/2021 1:35:22 PM

So, if moving to Ultimate is not an option (and I don't see that it is for us), is my scenario viable? Thanks!

jdhymer
4/24/2021 12:37:26 PM

I use the NDI tools to get scripture and song lyrics into OBS Studio. Run NDI Scan converter on the SSP computer and set the monitor configured for lower thirds as a NDI source in OBS. then use a filter to eliminate the black background that I use. It works well for us. Started doing this over a year ago before they added NDI to SSP ultimate. We don't have the ultimate, but we were given the multiple screen option years ago when it was originally added to SSP.

jdhymer
4/24/2021 12:37:38 PM

I use the NDI tools to get scripture and song lyrics into OBS Studio. Run NDI Scan converter on the SSP computer and set the monitor configured for lower thirds as a NDI source in OBS. then use a filter to eliminate the black background that I use. It works well for us. Started doing this over a year ago before they added NDI to SSP ultimate. We don't have the ultimate, but we were given the multiple screen option years ago when it was originally added to SSP.

dreece
5/10/2021 11:35:47 AM

Upgrading to Ultra does not increase the yearly upgrade subscription cost.

rkresge
6/2/2021 12:06:46 PM

JD Hymer, just checking on this. My preliminary testing seems to show that a physical monitor of some kind is required to support NDI tools, unless we would pay to upgrade to the Ultra Edition. Or do you know of a way to get NDI Tools to recognize the Stage Monitor without a physical display? I'm also thinking of building a VGA loopback plug that will make a VGA video card think there's a monitor attached. Pretty easy to do. Thoughts? Thanks!

dreece
6/7/2021 11:27:57 AM

A physical monitor should not be necessary. When NDI is enabled, virtual displays are made available that can be used for the NDI output. This is the same technique used for DeckLink output which also requires a target display.

jdhymer
6/10/2021 9:36:27 PM

I have in the past successfully used a USB-DVI dongle without a physical monitor connected to it to simulate another screen. That can then be used with NDI Scan Converter and get it into OBS Studio.

I have also plugged both a hdmi and vga cable from the same computer into the same monitor that had both hdmi and vga inputs for a second screen that I didn't really need to see. 

I have noticed with the NDI tools that if you have 2 graphics cards, which ever graphics card has your main display in windows connected to it, only the monitors connected to that graphics card will work with NDI Scan Converter. 

rkresge
6/30/2021 9:58:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. FYI if you upgrade to the newest version of NDI Tools you can use NDI Screen Capture HX, which seems to 'broadcast' output from multiple video cards. The more basic version without the HX behaves as you describe. And then everything may change in July when version 5 comes out.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙