Version 5.5 > Multiple DVDs in one program

osborn4
4/11/2006 9:11:32 AM
There is a person over at ChurchMedia.net looking for a program that will support heavy media use.

They sometimes play up to 3 DVD clips, as well as several other video clips, in one program.

The question is, can SSP play clips off of 3 different DVDs if you have 3 DVD drives in the projection machine? Will SSP reconize 3 DVD drives with a different DVD in each drive?

Rick Everingham
4/11/2006 4:47:07 PM
I have played 2 DVDs in one program from 1 DVD drive. I also used some mpegs in the program as fillers and an audio clip with an mpeg as filler music in V7.

osborn4
4/11/2006 7:07:07 PM
Did you save the program and then reload it? I thought Doug said that if the DVD for the clips in a program wasn't in the drive when you loaded the program in SSP, that SSP would delete the clip out of the program.

I was able to switch DVDs like that for a program, but I never saved and then reloaded the program. I got finished right before the Christmas Eve program was going to start, so I never actually loaded the program, I just ran it.

dreece
4/12/2006 12:39:29 AM

Well, with my understanding of how SSP works (), having 3 DVD clips from 3 separate DVDs, would require that the system have 3 available DVD drives so that each of the DVDs could be inserted and available when the program loads. However, if someone goes to the trouble, it could be possible to switch the DVDs at certain times during the program load process and manage to swap around the various DVDs as needed -- not a real user friendly solution.

osborn4
4/12/2006 4:42:33 AM
But if he has 3 drives, he can play clips off of 3 different DVDs. That's the answer I was after.

However, could you have just a warning when loading a program that the wrong DVD is in place but allow the DVD Clips to load with the program?

I've seen SSP prompt me that the wrong DVD is in the drive, when trying to play a DVD.  So that part of the mechanism needed to swap DVDs during a program is already in place.

Rick Everingham
4/12/2006 11:40:48 AM
I should have said, I didn't put them in the program, I had previously loaded them, then went the DVD panel, and played them when needed.

wsheffield
4/13/2006 6:22:56 AM
OK, let me get this correct. If you have a DVD drive on your pc, you can point SSP to that drive and play the DVD from SSP? I have just loaded 5.5 and do not have a manual. I am still learning what all 5.5 can do. I would like to be able to remove our external DVD player if SSP can run it.

osborn4
4/13/2006 6:58:59 AM
SSP is better at showing clips, rather than entire DVDs. You can specify what chapter of a DVD to play and give it specific begin and end points.

But there are some DVDs that have copy protection that SSP can't deal with. So I wouldn't get rid of the external DVD player just yet.

And I don't know if the DVD functionallity is in the eval version, or if you can download that only after you purchase it. Hopefully someone more "in the know" about the eval version can chime in.

Karen39
4/13/2006 9:44:41 AM
If at all possible, keep your external DVD player.  There could be a time when you would need to play 2 DVDs.  One Sunday we had 3 DVD clips to play.  We have 2 external DVDs we used and we also used one through SSP.

wsheffield
4/13/2006 11:07:00 AM
OK, is the function to play a DVD clip in 5.5, or is it a promodule that does it? If it is a promodule, where can I get it? I love the fact that you can start at a beginning point and end it through software. I don't have the manuals, so how does this work? Thanks

osborn4
4/13/2006 11:19:01 AM
The User Manual can be downloaded here:
http://www.fowlerinc.com/store/pub/SSP_User_Guide.pdf

The ProModules can be downloaded from the downloads page
http://www.ssplash.com/Downloads/tabid/104/Default.aspx

But I'm not sure which of them are available to evaluators.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙