Version 8.3 > Window 10 and PowerPoint Issue

rkresge
10/19/2016 5:27:51 PM
Any news on this situation?  Since MS only gives you 10 days to roll back updates, we totally missed the window. The workaround basically disables SSP's ability to play videos, although we can now show PPT slides from SSP. I'm learning new ways to spell "frustrated".

Thanks!

Roger

George
10/20/2016 8:22:26 AM
Hi Roger.

Sorry to hear about your frustration.

With HEG off you should still be able to play most videos, however, H.264 videos do require it.

We are looking at this problem but there is no other workaround or solution yet.

osborn4
10/20/2016 11:53:01 AM
Could you run your powerpoints externally until this is fixed? I can't imaging giving up H.264 videos. I load any PPTs I need to run ahead of time and then alt-tab from SSP to PPT when it's time to show them.

George
10/20/2016 12:08:47 PM
To add to this:

I neglected to add below that if you do not need to preserve (or don't have) object transitions/animations, then you could simply convert them to Slide Builder files with the tool - takes about a minute or so.  Make sure you select your screen resolution as the target size so that it will look right on the screen.

rkresge
10/21/2016 12:51:19 PM
This is something I plan to test tomorrow. Good idea. (Referring to Joel's idea of running PPTs externally rather than from within SSP).

Thanks!

Roger

osborn4
10/21/2016 1:37:23 PM
Posted By George Taylor on 20 Oct 2016 12:08 PM

To add to this:

I neglected to add below that if you do not need to preserve (or don't have) object transitions/animations, then you could simply convert them to Slide Builder files with the tool - takes about a minute or so.  Make sure you select your screen resolution as the target size so that it will look right on the screen.

It does work great and quick. My first question, whenever I'm handed a PPT is "Does it have any animations?"

rkresge
10/21/2016 3:51:01 PM
Posted By Joel Osborn on 21 Oct 2016 01:37 PM

To add to this:

It does work great and quick. My first question, whenever I'm handed a PPT is "Does it have any animations?"

HAHAHAHAHA!  And how often does the perpetrator actually know the answer to that???      

Actually, I have an important video for both of our Sunday services this week, so I may just convert our pre-service announcement PPT to SSP Slide Builder this week.  And I know there are no animations except the slide transitions, since I produce it.  

Roger

osborn4
10/21/2016 4:26:39 PM
Generally, I have it in time to walk through it myself. If it's right before service, I fire up ppt separate from SSP and switch between the two.

I switched our announcements and sermon to SSPSS a while ago and have not regretted it. It just works with no headaches or lag.

akins
10/22/2016 3:24:13 PM
Gee, its hard for me to imagine making PPT slides when SSB is available " width="20" height="20" />

rcowens@eastonpres.com
10/26/2016 2:10:54 PM
Can I assume the WIN10 - Powerpoint issue will be corrected?

I'm running 1511 Version of WIN10. I just upgraded to PPT2016 and see no improvement over 2007. I want to continue using PPT as (I do use animations) as I have for many years. PPT running under SSP consistently crashes temporarily, but will work fine after SSP recovers from the crash. Also, slideshow builder will not run under ssp (menu is greyed), only as a standalone (or when editing an existing slideshow).

osborn4
10/27/2016 6:55:41 PM
To be able to start Slide Show Builder from SSP, go to the Slide Show tab in the Media Files panel, make sure you are in Folder view, not title search view and navigate to the folder that you want to create a slide show in.

Then you should be able to click on the new slide show icon and select "New Slide Show"

rkresge
11/5/2016 8:11:54 AM
Posted By George Taylor on 20 Oct 2016 08:22 AM
Hi Roger.

Sorry to hear about your frustration.

With HEG off you should still be able to play most videos, however, H.264 videos do require it.

We are looking at this problem but there is no other workaround or solution yet.

I've noticed that built in background Fill effects like Gradient Motion and Starfield (possibly all of the motion background) no longer work with HEG off. 

Can we get ANY UPDATE on this???  The frustration continues.

Thanks,

Roger

rkresge
11/5/2016 8:16:05 AM
Posted By Dick Akins on 22 Oct 2016 03:24 PM
Gee, its hard for me to imagine making PPT slides when SSB is available " width="20" height="20" />

Dick, I hear what you're saying. But odds are you're the only one at your church who has any concept of how to build SSB slide shows. What happens when you're unavailable, or a guest speaker comes in with a PPT slide show? And good luck trying to teach your pastor to use SSB - odds are they're still trying to figure out PowerPoint.  

Roger

rkresge
11/5/2016 8:18:44 AM
To add to this:

Interesting. I tried converting my weekly PPT announcements slides, and found that they did not migrate "clean". Almost all the slides wound up with conversion artifacts. Biggest problem was mis-positioned text and graphic boxes. Yuck.

Roger

George
11/7/2016 9:22:11 AM
Posted By Roger Kresge on 05 Nov 2016 08:18 AM
To add to this:
...Make sure you select your screen resolution as the target size so that it will look right on the screen.

Interesting. I tried converting my weekly PPT announcements slides, and found that they did not migrate "clean". Almost all the slides wound up with conversion artifacts. Biggest problem was mis-positioned text and graphic boxes. Yuck.

Roger
Hi Roger.
What you described can happen if the target display size is not selected.  The import process is basically taking a screenshot of the slide.  If this is done at a resolution that is different than the target display you will get a result that looks stretched/squished/out of alignment.  
Try this again but under the image options tab under preset sizes, select the target display (projection screen) and then complete the import.

If this does not resolve the issue I would recommend contacting the support team so they can take a look.

rkresge
11/10/2016 11:13:14 AM
Yo! I asked this question last week, with no response:

CAN WE GET AN UPDATE ON THIS ISSUE?? Is there hope at the end of the tunnel, or is that the light of an oncoming train?

Thanks!

Roger

George
11/11/2016 3:12:46 PM
Roger/All - Thanks for your patience.

At this time the update is, there is no update.  The previously documented options and work-arounds are the best suggestions we have at the moment. 

As a reminder, the first, best option is to use the Slide Builder instead of PowerPoint.  We realize that this may not be ideal for some users but it does work. Searching the knowledge base will give users the other possible options.  If you have any questions or concerns about implementing any of the solutions, please contact the support team so they can address your specific needs.

As many longtime SSP users may recall, issues of one form or another are not new to PPT/SSP.  As is the case when interacting with any 3rd party software/app/service, changes on either end can affect the expected behavior.  When these occur, it is always our goal to fix them as best we can, as quickly as we can.  In the past, the severity of impact has varied and in some cases we have been able to post a quick fix.  This is not one of those cases.

We are looking into solutions that will better isolate PPT to avoid the current and possible future issues but these changes will have wider reaching effect in SSP than just the PPT function and thus require more time to get it right.

Thanks again to all.

rkresge
11/12/2016 7:55:41 PM
Thanks, George. I appreciate the update, and really appreciate it when we are kept informed.  

Now for my next nit-picking grump.  It was especially frustrating to learn that the problem was the Windows 10 "Anniversary" update, but not realize what the problem is/was until it was much too late to roll back the update. Is there any way we can be proactively alerted to this kind of issue, instead of having to passively find out when we eventually log into ssplash.com?  It took me weeks before I began to suspect where the problem was, and by then it was too late to do anything about it.

Regards,

Roger

George
11/14/2016 8:27:15 AM
Posted By Roger Kresge on 12 Nov 2016 07:55 PM
...Is there any way we can be proactively alerted to this kind of issue...

Yes Roger - there actually is...
As soon as we were aware and confirmed the issue, a post was made in the Latest News section of the forums.  All posts in this section also automatically post to the news feed in SSP that is checked and flagged on start up of SSP.  Unfortunately, some users hide these notification icons (Tips/News/Notices) that appear in the top toolbar.  I am not sure if that is the case on your systems but that could be why you did not see the notification.

rkresge
11/17/2016 11:50:42 AM
Posted By George Taylor on 14 Nov 2016 08:27 AM
Posted By Roger Kresge on 12 Nov 2016 07:55 PM
...Is there any way we can be proactively alerted to this kind of issue...

Yes Roger - there actually is...
As soon as we were aware and confirmed the issue, a post was made in the Latest News section of the forums.  All posts in this section also automatically post to the news feed in SSP that is checked and flagged on start up of SSP.  Unfortunately, some users hide these notification icons (Tips/News/Notices) that appear in the top toolbar.  I am not sure if that is the case on your systems but that could be why you did not see the notification.

Well, I'm not sure that qualifies as "proactive", since I have to load ssplash.com and log in to see it. There are often long periods of time between my visits here - I have a few other things on my plate. Just saying...

Roger

George
11/17/2016 1:22:06 PM
Hi again Roger.

No need to log in to SSPlash...

As I noted, the posts also pop up in SSP as well in the News feed.  You would see this notification anytime you launch SSP, assuming you have not disabled them.

dreece
12/2/2016 1:28:25 PM
We spent considerable time looking into various options and settings that we hoped would be a "quick fix" for this problem. Unfortunately, nothing worked. The one configuration change thing that did solve that particular problem created other problems so is not a viable solution. At this point, it looks like we will have to, yet again, re-engineer how SSP interacts with PowerPoint and will be implemented in 8.4.

Diathao
1/15/2017 8:35:03 AM
Hello. I'm new to 8.3 when I added my PPT slide to SSP and tried to load it. It froze and wouldn't work. So you're saying that I have to manually add in slide shows via SSP slide builder?

George
1/16/2017 12:30:45 PM
Dia,

The best answer I can give you with the info provided is "It depends..."

It will depend on what OS you are using and which version of PPT (Office) you are using since there are some workarounds for some of the PPT issues.  You can either refer to the many KB articles available on the topic or contact the support team as they will gladly go over your specific issues with you.

I can say that you will avoid ALL of the PPT issues if you either convert them to Slide Builder files or better yet create all your slideshow type content in Slide Builder.  FYI - anyone (your staff and contributors) can load the workstation version of SSP on any machine to create content for you.

If you have other specific questions, the support team will be glad to take your call to address them as well.

western
5/14/2017 4:56:55 PM
We recently upgraded our computer and are running Windows 10. Also installed the latest 8.3 version of SSP. We are often given Powerpoint ppt or pptx files to project. With previous versions of SSp we would just import the ppt in to the program and click through the slides. Just tried this and it would show the file imported in to the program but had an "X" to the left and would not play. Is there something we are doing wrong or do we need another plug in?

George
5/16/2017 10:10:30 AM
There are a few things that could be going on here so your best bet is to contact the support team directly for help so they can take a look.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙