Version 5.5 > Why does SSP include videos but not the right codec?

rvreese
4/26/2006 9:33:37 PM

1) We've been using SSP 5.5 for some time now
2) 5.5 includes video clips from Worship Films and Worship Scapes
3) From the time we first installed 5.5, I've wanted to see the clips, but each time I've tried to run the clips -- error!
4) The error message states that the codec is not supported
5) It's not a big deal, but it is an irritation
6) Why did SSP include video  clips but not the codecs that support them?

Curious in Oxnard (CA)

Rod
4/26/2006 10:00:45 PM
Posted By rvreese on 04/26/2006 9:33 PM

1) We've been using SSP 5.5 for some time now
2) 5.5 includes video clips from Worship Films and Worship Scape's
3) From the time we first installed 5.5, I've wanted to see the clips, but each time I've tried to run the clips -- error!
4) The error message states that the codec is not supported
5) It's not a big deal, but it is an irritation
6) Why did SSP include video  clips but not the codecs that support them?

Curious in Oxnard (CA)

The following is taken from the SSP requirements page. you can find it here
http://ssplash.com/_sspsupport/System%20Requirements.html

Video File Support
Files in General: SongShow Plus uses Microsoft DirectShow to integrate the playing of video files.  When playing a particular video file, It is necessary that the required drivers (codecs and DirectShow filters) be installed on your system.  SongShow Plus does not ship with any video drivers or codecs.  SongShow Plus also does not support every codec, but it does support the most common ones in use.

MPEG-2 Support: By default, Windows XP systems are not installed with MPEG-2 codecs.  In order to play an MPEG-2 video through SongShow Plus, you must first install an application that includes an MPEG-2 codec.  Two examples of such applications are InterVideo's WinDVD and or LeadTools products.  WinDVD is frequently included with systems and video card packages.  By installing these applications, the MPEG-2 codec and necessary DirectShow filters are also installed which then let's SongShow Plus play an MPEG-2 file.  Other products may also provide the same function.  At this time, CyberLink's PowerDVD does not install the necessary drivers.

I think there are a number of reasons... the codec's are not supplied, heres two I can think of.

1. there are many different Codecs
2. SSP does not own the Codecs therefor cannot redistribute them.

You can install a Demo version of WinDVD, that will allow you to play the videos through SSP.

Hope this helps
Rod

dreece
4/27/2006 12:31:26 AM
When 5.5 was initially released, many of the example videos that were included with on the CD and for download were MPEG-2 versions of video files. At the time, I was somewhat concerned about this, due to the fact that MPEG-2 codecs are included with Windows installtions. My concerns turned out to be valid when many users had problems using them. With later releases of SSP 5.5, the files were delivered in a WMV format.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙