Version 5.5 > SongShow Plus 5.5 "Locking Up" or Freezing

wercampbells
4/30/2006 5:16:31 PM
We just installed SongShow Plus 5.5 on a new machine in our church santuary.

3.2 GHz CPU (Dual Core)
1GB RAM
80GB HD
CDRW/DVD Drive
NVidia GeForce NX 6600 256MB DDR graphics card

We went live with the new PC in our service this morning. During our run-through, SongShow Plus would "lock-up" and we had to reboot several times. Fearing the worst, we removed the Flash elements, slideshow elements, and motion background elements from our SSP program and everything worked fine.

Any ideas what is causing SSP to lock up? HELP!!

Rod
4/30/2006 5:33:30 PM

Turn off the hyperthreading.....and duel core

I assume being a pentium 4 that your computer will have hyperthreading. Go into the bios and turn it off that will fix it,

V7 supports hyperthreading, what about moving straight up to V7??

Rod

iamgap
4/30/2006 5:33:56 PM
Disable the second core, set SSP to run on only one core (I've read it can be done, but don't know how), or install v7.0.

SSP 5.5 is NOT compatible with Dual Core or Hyper-Threading.

osborn4
4/30/2006 5:35:02 PM
Hyper threading may indeed be the culprit. I assume you're thinking along the same lines because of your post in the other forum.

Actually with dual core, you need to specify SSP to run on only one core. That's what I've heard, anyway. I know that SSP is not compatible with Dual Core systems, in general. If you call tech support they might be able to help you.

The other option would be to install the V7 prerelease. V7 is dual core compatable and many of us have been running it for months on our main projection machines.

Update: Oops. I see that Gary and Rod beat me to it.

Rod
4/30/2006 5:38:33 PM
I think the move straight to V7 would be the best option...

No point having duel core and turning them off when v7 will run it just fine...

Rod

iamgap
4/30/2006 5:46:24 PM
Are we all bored with a 5th Sunday off?

Karen39
4/30/2006 7:26:15 PM
Who gets a 5th Sunday off???

Do you go through the rehearsal with your worship and praise team?  If you do, that would be a good way to try everything out before you go live during the actual service. 

David
5/2/2006 9:27:49 AM
The problem is indeed the Dual cores.  I've been told you can turn them off in the BIOS on Intel systems but have never seen this first hand.  There is not an option to turn off dual core on AMD. 

The best move would be to upgrade to version 7.  There are some other workarounds but they can be complicated and do remove the benefit of buying a dual core processor in the first place. 

rnovak918
5/3/2006 7:35:24 AM
Hyperthreading is one problem you may be having but if that does not fix the problem go out to http://www.leadcodecs.com/download/eval.htm and click on LEAD MPEG-2 Video Decoder. This is will download an eval copy of the program and you will be able to tell immediately if that is the problem with running backgrounds on your SSP.

I was having a similar problem and kept going back and forth on all of this. Reinstalled the program and pro modules, turned off the hyperthreading and still it kept locking up. Talked again to one of the support staff and they recommended this and there you go. Everything has been working wonderfully since. I hope this helps.

Fustian
6/19/2006 8:35:31 AM
Just as a note....most dual core procs don't have hyperthreading. The ones that do are the $1000+ models since you are getting in essence four cores on the chip (2 physical, 2 virtual). So unless your comp says "Extreme Edition" don't look for hyperthreading in the bios.

Rod
6/19/2006 5:58:41 PM
V5.5 is not compatable with hyperthreading or DUEL core processors, so if you have duel core then you need to be running V7..

Rod

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙