Version 8.3 > wire-less TV stage monitor

akins
11/16/2016 12:54:38 PM
Is it possible to connect a TV wirelessly to SSP for use as a stage monitor?

wotz
11/16/2016 11:55:18 PM
Yep. Get a device with a browser - laptop, raspberry pi, android box - and plug it into tv. Set up wireless access in SSP and run the stage monitor through the browser. I've done it a few times.

akins
11/17/2016 7:51:49 AM
The projection PC is connected to a router and the TV would be about 15 ft. away. Of course, the PC has browser software, but is it needed or can SSP send the monitor signal directly to the TV via the connected router?

osborn4
11/17/2016 11:10:13 AM
Hey @Doug, has anyone tried Miracast for a wireless transmission? I have a feeling it wouldn't have the bandwidth for some things, but a stripped down confidence monitor feed may work.

Of course, you have to have a Miracast capable wireless adapter card in the computer running SSP. Windows 10. and some sort of Miracast receiver on the television, possibly a smartTV or Roku.

I don't know if you could use AirPlay with AirServer (or some other AirPlay software) on a PC and an Apple TV to catch the signal. I'm not that fluent with the Mac end of things. I just know that anytime anyone brings up sending a signal wirelessly to a TV here at work, someone brings up Apple TV.

George
11/17/2016 11:41:55 AM
Hey Guys...

Interesting idea but it sounds like you guys are talking about 2 different things...

It sounds like Dick is looking for a way to connect the display as a fully functional output while Alister is referring to the Mobile Control Stage monitor.

Alister - If you could elaborate on what you mean by "Set up wireless access in SSP" that would be helpful.

Dick - the Mobile Control stage monitor is going to give you text only on a black background - is that what you are looking for?

George
11/17/2016 12:00:18 PM
Posted By Joel Osborn on 17 Nov 2016 11:10 AM
... I just know that anytime anyone brings up sending a signal wirelessly to a TV here at work, someone brings up Apple TV.

Joel,

On the Android side, similar function can be had with ChromeCast - I use one at home for a variety of things.  That said, I am not sure these solutions would be reliable enough for a true display replacement.

This will really depend on the users expectation of the quality and response for a solution but there are a few out there.

osborn4
11/18/2016 8:56:19 AM
I agree about the reliability. "Never use wireless if you can run a wire"

Could you run a Cat 5/6 run and put HDMI (or VGA) baluns on either end?

wotz
11/18/2016 6:41:02 PM
Posted By George Taylor on 17 Nov 2016 11:41 AM
Hey Guys...

Interesting idea but it sounds like you guys are talking about 2 different things...

It sounds like Dick is looking for a way to connect the display as a fully functional output while Alister is referring to the Mobile Control Stage monitor.

Alister - If you could elaborate on what you mean by "Set up wireless access in SSP" that would be helpful.

Dick - the Mobile Control stage monitor is going to give you text only on a black background - is that what you are looking for?

Dick mentioned using the tv as a stage monitor, hence the mobile control stage monitor. by "set up the wireless access in SSP" there is a setting that has to be turned on for remote connection - pardon my not using all the right terms. I'm doing it from memory.

Dick, you need a device with a browser and wifi connected to the tv. I have tried a chromecast and it works OK, but where I had it there was no connection to internet, which chromecast needs to initialise itself. I have used a raspberry pi and a laptop to run a tv as a display, and ipads for stage monitors.

akins
11/21/2016 9:00:46 AM
George,
White-on-black would be OK. Presently our stage monitors are on an A/B switch so that they can be stage monitors or show the projection view. That's what I really would like with a "wirelessly-connected" TV.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙