Version 5.5 > System reboot on SSP screen minimize

rnovak918
5/8/2006 9:00:50 AM
We have had something really strange happen recently and if it had only happened once I wouldn't be too worried but since this is the second time in about a week I need your help.  Last week I went to minimize the Song Show Plus screen and when I did...my system just decided to reboot.  I was out yesterday during the second service and had my crew running things and they said that they had something similar happen, it did not shut down the system but it closed out SSP.  Has anyone else had a similar issue happen to them. 

On an entirely different note...periodically the preview when you mouse over the verses at the top of the page...just suddenly decides to stop showing us the words to the song.  It will start previewing again once I turn off SSP and back on.  Thank for any help you can provide.

David
5/8/2006 11:58:04 AM
Out of curiosity, what kind of machine are you running?

Specifically I am interested in the processor, amount of RAM, video card, and the date of the video drivers. 
Also, are you using mostion backgrounds?

rnovak918
5/8/2006 12:10:41 PM
It is a Dell.  I don't have all the specs since it is down at the church and our offices are off site.  We purchased the machine according to the recommendation given to us by Fowler.  I will be down at the church tomorrow and will get the specs then log on to here and put them in detail.  I know that back in Jan. we had a system crash (Blue screen of death) and I had to rebuild the whole system so it could be that some of the drivers need to be updated.  As you can imagine it was a scary thing to have it shut down like that when I had just gone through a system crash not 4 months prior.  Thank you for your help.  I will talk with you soon.

rnovak918
6/4/2006 9:41:47 AM
It is a Xeon processor 3.00 Ghz with 1 Gig RAM. Everything is at the Full graphics mode, high performance. Please help....I had to load 7.0 because 5.3 spazed on me. 7.0 rebooted this morning.

osborn4
6/4/2006 3:23:59 PM
I would make sure all my drivers are up to day, particularly the video drivers. Then call tech support.

rnovak918
6/5/2006 8:20:39 AM
I think we updated every driver including the video driver but I will check to make sure. I wasn't aware that a video driver could cause this problem...I have been out of IT for way too long to remember all this stuff and it is getting irritating when my lower end machine...not a dell... is performing better with songshow plus on it in workstation mode. What about upgrading memory to 2 gigs.

osborn4
6/5/2006 8:41:15 AM
I don't know that the video driver could cause that problem, but the first thing tech support will ask is if your video driver is up to date, so you just as well make sure of that before you give them a call.

Rod
6/5/2006 9:38:46 AM
What are the specs on the PC you are running....

Is it a P4 pentium ??? and you are running v 5.5.. could you have the hyper threading turned on??

or is it a duel core machine??

V5.5 does not support hyper threading and duel core processors...
V7 does..

Just wondering....

Rod

osborn4
6/5/2006 9:42:53 AM
Looks like he upgraded to 7.0 after his last batch of problems and still had a reboot.

I haven't heard of this, but we rarely, if ever, minimize SSP.

I wonder if there is some spyware somewhere in the works messing this up.

Rod
6/5/2006 9:45:58 AM
Sorry didnt notice he had came up to V7.. Just read the post under V5.5 help..

I have minimised quite a lot, changing to powerpoint when we have to... have never had a problem..

I think a call to tech support might be the way to go..

Rod

rnovak918
6/5/2006 10:44:45 AM
I got the "Blue Screen of Death" back in January and had to rebuild the whole system.  We don't know what caused the system but there are no viruses or spyware or anything else present that we can detect.  Our assumption was that there was just something that went haywire with the original XP installation considering that we had not installed anything prior to the crash.

After the rebuild everything has worked relatively fine except for some codex issues that I had to fix and some updating on some of the drivers.  This recently started happening but not just on minimize.  Yesterday I was going through the songs and making sure that I like the way that the program looked and maybe I was going to fast but it just decided to reboot itself.  This was after the Wednesday night problem where it the program would just shut it self down every time we brought it up. 

After updating some drivers and it still doing that, I decided to do a fresh install of it and while online decided to just go ahead and upgrade it to the latest version.  It worked it came up and I was able to run the program.  I still don't know why it rebooted like that unless I did overload it by moving from one song to another to quickly when checking them out.  I just want the problems to stop.  Sorry for the long post but thought it would help to know the history. 

Thanks,
Renetta

David
6/5/2006 4:07:19 PM
To be honest, this sounds like a hardware problem to me.  Specifically it could be a bum hard drive or bad memory.  There is nothing in SongShow Plus that should cause your computer to be rebooting like this.  Usually if SongShow dies it might lock up, or just close on itself and generate an error message on your screen but it won't reboot the PC.  It's not impossible that SSP is causing it, but very very unlikely. 

Have you ever noticed this computer rebooting at other times? 

If you want, you can test this theory by loading something like a 3dmark06 from www.futurmark.com and let it run automated tests and see if that reboots your computer. 

Rod
6/5/2006 7:57:35 PM
Just another thought from left field..

The PC isnt overheating is it??

I couple of years ago I had a P4 processor (Prescott when they were new) that a computer guy built into a rackmounting case for me, trouble was he didnt know that they needed a special cooling duct and fan...  anyway to cut a long story short, my computer would Reboot while running SSP, and I couldnt nail it down... It wasnt until I fried the chip it and did some research myself it all made sense .. the PC was overheating which caused the whole problem....

Just something to think about... and maybe check....

Rod

Lee
6/7/2006 8:20:59 AM
Posted By David on 06/05/2006 4:07 PM
To be honest, this sounds like a hardware problem to me. 
If it occurs specifically when minimizing, an incorrect video driver (or two video drivers) is certainly something to examine. They get heavily involved when a process is minimized and again when maximized.

If it occurs randomly, hardware might be an issue. I had a Dell with 8 or 10 leaky capacitors on the motherboard that would reboot itself, randomly. Dell replaced the motherboard with a different brand.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙