Version 8.3 > Rebuilding indexes - minor inconvenience

akins
1/29/2017 12:23:36 PM
Latest build of SSP 8.3
I have three PC's of different makes, configurations, and operating systems (Win 10 & 7).
One is a projection machine, the others workstations. Almost every time I rebuild the database
index, it will stop after about 1/2 way with "Not Responding" and then close the "rebuilding"
window. Re-doing the operation over again always works perfectly. This would seem to indicate
some minor bug in the software

George
2/3/2017 9:47:03 AM
If this is something that is consistent you should contact the support team and show them.  Once they can observe it will be easier to address.

Also - how often do you need to do this?  This is not something that should need to be done all teh time.  If it is happening every time you open SSP and there have not been any changes then there are different issues to address.  You can try running the cleanup tool to see if there are remnants or corrupted songs that are causing the need to re-index.

FYI - The not responding may just be the notification window rather than the actual operation.  which would make sense if it completes quickly the second time.  

Support can help.

akins
2/4/2017 12:44:25 PM
"Clean-up tool?" Where is that located?
Do I need to do this very often? Once a week on two computers. I build the program on
my workstation at home (which usually involves addition and/or changes to songs), rebuild
the index, backup to a USB drive, go to the church projection PC, restore the database,
rebuild, and copy the program to the PC. If there's an easier way to do this, I would surely
like to hear about it. All my user files (images, video, slide shows, etc.) are the same on all my
PC's -- that is, everything looks the same on each to the user (me).

George
2/6/2017 11:27:27 AM
The tool I was referring to is found from the main toolbar -- Tools > Database Utilities > SongShow Plus > Fix-up Song Titles.

This tool will scan the database for inconsistencies that prevent proper display.

As far as your methodology....

Normally, there is no reason to manually rebuild the songs database.  In most cases, if it is necessary, SSP will do it automatically.

Are you doing a full SSP/database backup and moving that?  

The best route to go is to use the Package To Go tool.  
Create your program.
Save your program.
File menu > Package to go... -- Package that to your desktop then copy to the USB drive.
Take to projection computer and Restore Package.

This will only gather and move the necessary pieces for the program you are using.  When the package is restored on the destination system, it will automatically put things where they belong. Again, SSP would re-index if it was needed.  It is not always necessary to re-index and it may not always be visible when done automatically.  If you are editing/adding/cloning a single or a few song(s), SSP will handle that on the fly.

The PTG tool will save a lot of hassle.

akins
2/6/2017 1:34:57 PM
Thanks for the info, George.
Actually backing up on one PC and restoring on another isn't much hassle, but I'll try
PTG and see if it saves me any time.

akins
5/13/2017 12:40:19 PM
PTG isn't nearly as convenient as Backup/Restore. Often I have changed (edited) songs
at home that aren't in one program and I just want to mirror those changes on the church
computer. Until recently this went fast and smoothly via Rebuild Database/Backup to USB drive,
then Restore/Rebuild Database on the other computer. It does look like Rebuild is stopping, but
actually completing the operation (I'm not sure how I can validate this). In any event, if it
stops, one must run it again just to make sure. Bottom line -- it shouldn't stop! It happens on
both workstation and projection PCs. Perhaps there is a glitch in one of the songs, but running
Rebuild twice always works.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙