Version 8.3 > Direct x 9.0c

Yagabu
2/25/2017 6:15:29 AM
What version is the DirectX 9.0c installed with? I only have Ver 8.3 on my PC and keep getting the error it is not installed.

Thanks

Greg

George
2/27/2017 10:51:15 AM
The required DX 9.0c files are installed with every version.

Where are you getting this error and what is the exact verbiage?  

If you are getting an error in SSP indicating that something will not run because it requires Directx version 9.0c or later it may be because you have the Use GPU option turned of on one or more displays (Display Settings) or you are connected to the SSP system remotely - this will sometimes disable DirectX.

If neither of these is the case I would contact the support team so they can take a look.

Yagabu
3/4/2017 8:21:12 AM
This is the message we get every time we start SSP. "Unable to use object effect: Bevel with Flyby Light. Reason: This component requires DirectX version 9.0c or later"  Occasionally we get other issues related to DirectX.  We do not use the PC remotely, and have tried using the GPU in both on and off states. 
I don't know if this is related or a windows update issue, but some of our videos are not playing through fully any more. I know some was codec issues, but we moved to MP4's and they used to work flawlessly and one day they started not playing fully. They would stop about 3/4 through. These videos had no change to them, and used to play fully. Now our system is unstable with playing any videos. It doesn't matter what format, they all have the issue.

Windows is up-to date, video driver is up-to-date. No new software installed that could cause a conflict. 

Thanks,

Greg

George
3/6/2017 9:22:00 AM
Hi Greg,

Yeah - that message is what I was talking about.  That should only show up for a couple of reasons - if DX is not installed at all, or if it is disabled or otherwise unavailable to SSP.

One way to disable it in SSP is with the GPU settings but if those are on it should be working.  At this point, since you have already covered the drivers/Windows angle, I suggest you contact the support team so that they can take a look and gather some info to escalate.

It is possible that the two issues (error messages and video) are related since the H.264 plugin does use DX as well.  Are you using our plug-in for MP4 support?

Yagabu
3/8/2017 8:27:24 AM
Yes, we have the H.264 plugin. Unfortunately our church is in some financial hard times and we stopped the subscription service however all these problems have started before we ended the service. Would we still be able to call the support services without being charged per call?

Thanks,

Greg

George
3/8/2017 12:36:35 PM
Greg,

The current support option for expired subscriptions is limited to activation.  

You may be able to get some help on the forum if others have had similar issues but for direct troubleshooting with the support team it would require a renewal.

Be sure to look/search in the forum and KB sections for info.

I can make the following suggestions:

Since the GPU setting is for each enabled display I would double check that it is on for each one:
  • Settings > Display
  • Click on each display window tab
    • Scroll down to "Use GPU" and make sure "Yes" is selected.
    • Click "Apply"
  • After checking all display windows (in use or not - just to be sure) click apply then OK.
  • Close and re-open SSP.
If you have other codecs loaded on your system you can try this to see if the behavior of your videos changes.
  • Settings > Audio and Video File
  • Check the settings - by default (and required to use our H.264) it should be set to Option A for both video and audio.
  • If it is already at A, change it to B, save and close/restart SSP
  • Check for a change in the video behavior.
  • NOTE: If you don't have alternate 3rd party "stuff" installed to support this will fail.  This is kind of sketchy anyway but some people have made it work.
Check to see if different versions of the videos you are having trouble with are available
  • If this is only with mp4 files and they always stop in the same place it could be a video problem (though it sounds like they played fully at one time)
  • See if a WMV is available
  • Re-render the video if possible
Hopefully something here will help you out.

Yagabu
3/12/2017 7:19:37 AM
Unfortunately I have been through all those options. The windows media is the format that fails the most often. I guess we will have to wait till we can renew the option.

Greg

George
3/14/2017 12:29:58 PM
Interesting...

While I can't do a remote with you, let's see if I can help here...

The fact that WMV files have issues as well seems to indicate a wider problem.

If the following are true:

1.  This started "out of the blue" (videos that previously worked no longer work)
2.  This did not start right after an SSP update. (version change or update)

Then this would indicate an OS issue rather than an SSP one.  Keep in mind that while these videos may play fine in Windows Media Player (I assume you tried that) changes to the OS can adversely affect SSP that may not affect Windows Media Player.

Let's start with some basics:

What version of SSP are you running? (8.3 I assume from the forum section but I always verify)

What OS (and build) are you running?

Do you have other 3rd party CODECs installed?

If you recall when this was first noticed, check the Windows Updates to see if something was updated around that time. 

These may give some clue.

Yagabu
3/26/2017 9:03:34 AM
Thanks for your reply. It is with regret that I say our leadership has decided to move to a different software. It was not fully my choice to do so but the powers to be have made their decision. I want to tank everyone for their help.

Greg

akins
3/27/2017 10:21:09 AM
Sorry to see you go, Greg, but can understand the decision.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙