Version 8.0 > Freezing when using bigger slideshows

gatewaycrc
7/5/2014 12:16:45 PM

I have found since the update to version 8 that songshow freezes when I go from the slide show with the bible verses to the slide show with the slides for the message.  For example I am trying to run tomorrows program and when I click on the slides show that has the bible verses it pauses and than loads the title and slowly shows the slides with the verses on it.  I can start clicking right away by using the + sign to show the verses.  Than when I click on the next slide show which has the message slides the entire program freezes. It takes a minute or two for songshow to catch up and I am unable to show the first two slides for the message.  Than when the message is done I click on the next song and again the program freezes for about 30 seconds.  Thankfully there is a prayer after the message which gives me time to get the song ready.

To top it off for this week we have a video running right before the sermon which is slowing down the program even more.  Once the video is done I click on the slideshow for the bible verses and the screen goes black.  

For the background I just have a basic picture so no video background or transitions.

I am using the scripture slides assistant to put the bible verses in and using version NIV 1984.

I just did the latest update yesterday and it didn't make it any better.

osborn4
7/6/2014 10:49:36 AM
What are some of the specs of your computer?

Are you using any special backgrounds and/or transitions?

Have got run an anti malware scan lately?

wbub
7/6/2014 4:49:41 PM
Is it possible your anti-virus is scanning the file before "releasing" it SSP? Once in a while I think that happens to us: a slide show takes a while to start, and I guessed that might be the problem. But it doesn't seem to do it every time for us. Perhaps if the file has been "verified" and hasn't changed, it is released quicker. Or that may not be anything close to the problem .

gatewaycrc
7/7/2014 12:16:40 PM
Some of the specs are:

Windows 7 Professional
Manufacturer: HP
Model: HP Compaq Pro 6300 MT
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570 CPU@3.40 GHz
Installed Memory: 8 GB
System type: 64 bit operating System

With some of the slides I am using moving backgrounds - 3 and I don't use any transitions

I will do a virus scan and check if the anti virus is scanning the file.

Thanks!

mike
8/4/2014 8:12:39 AM
You don't mention if you are using a slideshow created with Song Show Plus Slide Show Builder or PowerPoint. A few suggestions though:

If it is PowerPoint, start up PowerPoint manually before starting SSP, and then lower it. This improves the start up time for a PPT presentation. But honestly, I haven't had to do this in quite a while.

If your version of Office is older than 2010, upgrade. The SSP/PPT integration with with 2007 and earlier was not nearly as good as it is with newer versions, whatever MS did in Office 2010, it fixed it!

Another suggestion: manually resize you backgrounds and images, in advance, to the resolution of the display that your projector is on (which should be that native resolution of your projector) before including them in you slideshows. If you are using, for example, 12 MegaPixel images from a digital camera, the software needs to do a lot of extra work, and use a lot of memory, to load in those huge files and resize them all in real time. It is far better to start with images that are 1024x768 (the resolution of most projectors). This is typically not an issue for any backgrounds or images you purchase specifically for presentations (which typically comes at very useable resolutions). The problem is when using pictures from cameras or taken straight off the internet.

Coincidentally, I had problems with a MS PPT presentation that I was given this past weekend (right before the service, so I did not have time to trouble shoot it.) It was a photo slide show from a missions trip with a sound track; the sound kept on skipping as the show transitioned pictures. Our current system has specs similar to yours, but I will be setting up a new system in the coming days and I will be testing that show to see if it works any better on the new system. If not, I will try running it directly from PPT to see if the problem was a problem completely within PPT or if it only happens when running PPT from SSP.

George
8/6/2014 9:33:13 AM
This post was in the Windows 8 rather than the Version 8 area so I moved it...

Regarding your SongShow Plus 8 issues.

I have seen several good suggestions here and it is not clear what the root issue is to me.  My suggestion is to consider some of the advice here but if that does not resolve the issues then contact the support team so that they can have a first hand look at the behavior and get to the root of the issues.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙