Version 8.3 > Avtivation blew up.

osborn4
4/14/2017 5:53:18 PM

I just got this month's hot fixes on Windows 7. After reboot, I tried to start SSP, but it said it needed to be activated.

So I signed off with my user account and signed on with the admin account. I started SSP and it started fine.

So I signed back on as a user and got the activation message again.

So I signed back on as admin, started SSP and got the activation message again. I activated, but the license for our GfM machine wasn't available. So it grabbed our additional license that we haven't used in a while. But it doesn't have the h.264 and Bible plug ins included (ESV, NIV, NASB). So now I'm stuck.

The questions are

a) Why did Windows updates cause SSP activation to lose it's mind?

b) Where did the GfM license go?

c) What am I supposed to do on a Friday night and we have service tomorrow?

I guess I'll go home and deactivate the license on my laptop and see if I can activate that license here. IT should have all the needed plug ins.

Yuck!

osborn4
4/14/2017 6:24:00 PM

Well, that worked, anyway. I was able to transfer the license (with plug ins) from my laptop to the projection machine at church.

Now I just have to figure out when I'll be able to call GoFish Media to get the licenses straightened out. I have work so I can afford this "hobby" of doing projection. 8-/ 

But, praise God I have a solution for tonight and tomorrow.

Update: looks like phone support is open until 5:00 PM Mountain time. I can generally get home at 5:00 PM Central time, so they may be a window there. whew!

George
4/19/2017 12:30:53 PM
Joel,
Glad you were able to resolve this.

It is odd, but certainly possible, that the update caused the key change if it changed the way that devices are enumerated thus changing the system key. I would consider this a rare event.

The really odd thing is that it seemed that at least on the first login it was not affecting all users.  Now it does appear that after logging in a second time it was "broken" and that would be expected in this case.

As far as the the "Why" - The root cause from our side is that something in the system devices that are used to ID the system changed, hence the activation change.  The "Why" of the OS updated causing that is a mystery.  

Do you recall exactly what the activation message said?  In this case, what should have happened is that you were notified that there was a change and been offered to apply a temp license - did that not happen?

osborn4
4/22/2017 8:55:47 AM
The message was "This copy of SongShow Plus needs to be activated" or something like that, with the options of activating as projection, activating as workstation or evaluating.

When I called support on Monday, they indicated that I should have gotten a message about temporarily activating with all the current plug ins, but I did not get that option. I wonder if that was because I was signed on as a standard user, not an administrator?

The fix that was installed was KB4014565.

Yagabu
4/23/2017 7:53:18 AM
We are currently experiencing an activation error. I am currently on the temporary license. We are in the process of switching to another presentation software (unfortunately) and have not fully switched over yet. We also do not have a current subscription so I am not sure if the support will help. This was after a windows update. I will try calling or emailing sometime this week.

Greg

osborn4
5/13/2017 11:53:44 AM
Some of our extended problems (not being prompted correctly) could be caused by using a userid w/o admin rights.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙