Version 8.0 > Triple-Wide Support Questions

bitbank
7/16/2014 1:03:52 PM
I'm sorry if this is already covered elsewhere.  I searched but couldnt find much on this topic.

Im specifically asking for some information about SSP and Triple wide video support.

So first off, could I ask if there is any more info than whats on the website regarding:
  • multiple screen setups
  • how video is controlled on multiple screen setups where a Triple head video card is used (it sounds like this is supported in v8, is that correct?)
  • how video is controlled (if it can be) on multiple screen setups where three separate video card or video card ports are used for a single triple wide screen (is this what the auto triple-wide capabiltiy in v8.1 will do?)
  • the max data rate at a HD resolution which can supported feeding a Triple wide system from a single SSP PC
  • the remote control apps for tablets (is there any advantage to useing these tablet apps instead of the main desktop app?)
Secondly, does SSP/ R-technics have a recommendation on:
  • whether to go with a triple-head video card or three separate video ports
  • what PC specs are needed for running a Triple wide presentation in full 1080P HD on each screen
  • what PC specs are needed for running a Triple wide presentation in full 1080P HD on each screen PLUS a stage monitor
Thirdly, what type of video mapping capabilities does SSP support, such as:
  • Does SSP support the ability to locate a particular video background anywhere on the screen?  If so, can this be controlled on a program step by step baasis, or on a video element basis?
  • Does SSP support the ability to play a Single-wide video on any one of the three screens of a Triple-wide setup which uses a triple-head video card?
  • Does SSP support the ability to play a Single-wide video on any one of the three screens of a Triple-wide setup which uses three separate video ports?
  • Does SSP support the ability to play a Single-wide POWERPOINT presentation on any one of the three screens of a Triple-wide setup which uses a triple-head video card?
  • Does SSP support the ability to play a Single-wide POWERPOINT presentation on any one of the three screens of a Triple-wide setup which uses three separate video ports?
thanks,
k

dreece
7/21/2014 9:10:57 PM
Karl,

I'd like to answer these questions. Before I do, however, I need clarification on something. When you say "triple head video card", do you actually mean a video card that has three output ports (three heads), or are you referring to the Matrox TripleHead2Go card which connects to a single output port of a video card and makes it look like a triple wide display and which, itself, has three output ports. You probably mean the former, but if you are actually referring to the TripleHead2Go, then I need to know that because it affects the answers.

bitbank
9/1/2014 9:30:28 PM
Hi Doug,
Sorry, I didnt see your question until now...

I am looking at moving to a triple wide presentation and would like to know if I can do that with SSP, with EITHER a video card with 3 outputs, OR a Matrox TripleHead2Go adapter hanging off of a pc video card.  So I guess my answer to your question is BOTH.

thanks,
karl

dreece
9/2/2014 8:30:42 AM
Karl,

To use a single projection display output with SongShow Plus, you'll need something like the Matrox TripleHead2Go. This lets SongShow Plus treat all three projectors as a single very wide projector.

If what a person wants is to control three independent video outputs, then either option, TripleHead2Go or three video cards, will work.

So the next follow up question is this, at what point in the output chain do you expect edge blending to take place: at the software, at the video card, or at the projectors?

bitbank
9/2/2014 6:10:18 PM
Hi Doug,
Thanks for the response!

Regarding edge blending to occur, in this particular config, I wont need any (screens are canted at projector, and well be lining up the projectors accordingly).  But having said that, is there any way to do edge blending in software while using SSP for either a TripleHead2Go or a 3 video card outs?

Also:
  • Does SSP support the ability to locate a particular video background anywhere on the screen?  If so, can this be controlled on a program step by step basis, or on a video element basis?
  • Does SSP support the ability to play a Single-wide video on any one of the three screens of a Triple-wide setup which uses a TripleHead2Go setup??
  • Does SSP support the ability to play a Single-wide video on any one of the three screens of a Triple-wide setup which uses three separate video ports?
  • Does SSP support the ability to play a Single-wide POWERPOINT presentation on any one of the three screens of a Triple-wide setup which uses a TripleHead2Go setup?
  • Does SSP support the ability to play a Single-wide POWERPOINT presentation on any one of the three screens of a Triple-wide setup which uses three separate video ports?

dreece
9/4/2014 8:59:18 AM
Karl,

Is the intent here to drive three projectors as a single video output, or is it to treat each of the three projectors as an independent output? Or to put it another way, from the audience perspective, will it see a single very wide slide/video, or will it see three separate slides/videos (even if they are right next to each other)? Knowing this will help me answer your questions better.

bitbank
9/4/2014 7:16:03 PM
A single screen- triple wide.

dreece
9/5/2014 1:53:23 PM
Ok, I'll take that answer to mean "three projectors as a single video output". To do this with SongShow Plus, you'll need to use something like the TripleHead2Go. Multiple video cards are not an option for this type of configuration. So to answer the relevant questions below:

Does SSP support the ability to locate a particular video background anywhere on the screen? Yes.
If so, can this be controlled on a program step by step basis, or on a video element basis? Yes.

Does SSP support the ability to play a Single-wide video on any one of the three screens of a Triple-wide setup which uses a TripleHead2Go setup? [bYes.

Does SSP support the ability to play a Single-wide POWERPOINT presentation on any one of the three screens of a Triple-wide setup which uses a TripleHead2Go setup? Yes.

These answers are based on what I assume is the intent of the questions. I do still wonder, however, if what you really want to do is control independent display outputs rather than a single output. Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions about it.

bitbank
9/5/2014 4:48:30 PM
Hi Doug,
Yes, you assumed my intent correctly.  I was specifically talking about the use of a TripleHed2Go device.

However, I'm also wondering about a scenario where one would use a video card which has three or four video outputs.  Im guessing this is a completely different question as the platform video system will not stitch these separate video screens into one at the applicaiton level.  So if can I re-ask my questions for the case where SSP sees a high powered video card which has three or four video outputs?

thanks,
karl

dreece
9/6/2014 1:29:43 PM
Karl,

SongShow plus will treat three video output as three independent video displays, which means the can be controlled completely independent of each other. It can also treat the TripleHead2Go output as three independent displays as well.

bitbank
9/6/2014 2:14:15 PM
Doug,
Thanks so much for your responses!  Just to make sure I'm am understanding you correctly, may I ask for clarification on your last point.  I think that you are saying that for the case where one or more video cards are being used to present multiple video ports to the applicaiton level, SSP+ can in fact support multiple screens (on different video ports) but NOT do so as a unified pallet.  That is, no video or text objects could span across the border between any of the screens (or video ports).  Is that correct?

And the ONLY way to do true large screen comprised of multiple screens with SSP+ is to use some for of video adapter (such as TripleHead2Go) which presents a single pallet (or screen) which is triple wide to the application layer (to SSP+).

Is my clarification correct?  If so, are there any other such video adapters which do this three screen presented as one to the Application layer besides TripleHead2Go.  My one concern with TripleHead2Go is that it can NOT support 1080P X 3 at the full 60Hz rate.

thanks again!
karl

bitbank
9/6/2014 2:16:25 PM
And Doug,
One more clarification, I think you said that SSP+ CAN treat a single screem comprised of say 3 screens (using something like tripleHead2Go) as a single screen and lay text or video objects across any part (including the complete portion of) the triple wide screen.  Is that correct?

dreece
9/8/2014 2:56:17 PM
Yes.

bitbank
9/8/2014 6:14:18 PM
Sorry Doug, but which of my two questions were you answering?

dreece
9/10/2014 12:44:53 PM
Yes to both of your "Is that correct?" questions. Regarding an alternative to the TripleHead2Go: I'm not aware of one, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

bitbank
9/10/2014 1:53:24 PM
Thanks for the info Doug!

bitbank
9/30/2014 12:32:22 PM
Hi Doug,
I did a rudimentary test of the Triple Wide Video Support by SSP (without a TripleHead2Go video adapter) as you described last night. After working around a few things (which I can share with you later if you like), I was able to achieve SSP video playback across three different video outputs (even three screens which were not at the same resolution), albeit at a lower frame rate. This is a GREAT CAPABILITY, and one not shared by most other presentation software apps. I do have a few questions from you and your team of experts on what type of HW processing horsepower would be needed in this config. Hopefully, the GFM support folks will share my email with you on that topic. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this!!

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙