Version 8.0 > SSP forgetful again

osborn4
8/8/2014 6:53:17 PM
I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really wish that SSP and SlideShow Builder would remember the last directory used. The most recently used list is a help. But when I'm doing a slide show, I shouldn't have to start at the top of the directory tree EVERY time I go to insert a graphic.

akins
8/9/2014 8:58:50 PM
Well, Joel, I've pleaded for this to be returned ever since it was changed (about 2010, I think) and haven't gotten anywhere. Somehow they think that having a list of 5 or so recent directories is a good solution, but, of course it isn't. Having been an old time programmer (as were you, I believe) it was well recognized that the last directory used would be the most likely one to be desired again. If it isn't, then navigating to the desired one from there is just as quickly done (on an average) as navigating from the root. The present situation takes several clicks (4 if I remember) and then the directory you want may not be in the list. Programming-wise it is a simple matter to have the last directory used for a particular operation remembered and then return to it by default the next time the same operation is used. After all this time I'm not hopeful of a change ;-(
Sorry for the rant, it just ticks me off not to do the most logical thing.

dreece
8/12/2014 11:05:48 AM
I'll look into it. I thought that remembering the previous path had been implemented for 8.0.

mike
8/12/2014 1:53:32 PM
This is probably a bigger ask (and if the dialog remembers the last path, won't be as important) but I also don't like the layout of the dialog; it would be nice if it remember the layout from the last time I used it (even if the memory was only for the current session).

To organize my media, I use a hierarchy of sub-directories. I can choose the top level on the left, but only see 3 (or so) sub directories in the list along the top; trying to find what I'm looking for as I scroll for that little window pane is difficult. So each time I go in, I stretch the dialog window, then stretch that top pain with the list of sub-directories so that I can see about 7 or 8 rows. Then I navigate in to choose another background from the same sub directory (or one near it), and need to go through the resizing process all over again (each time).

Most of the changes in 8.0, I am very very pleased with!

George
8/13/2014 12:26:19 PM
FYI - the remembering of the layout/re-size has already been discussed and has been added as a request.  It sounds like this would address the concern that you are describing.

dreece
8/22/2014 3:14:38 PM
State persistence for file selection has been (re)implemented for 8.1 (in an upcoming release).

8.0 does keep a record of the most recently used folders and when you click on those, you are taken directly to that folder without the need to traverse the tree.

osborn4
8/22/2014 6:34:40 PM
Good to hear. I have been using the MRU list, but it's an extra click every time insert a picture in the sermon slide show, when all the graphics are in the same folder.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙