Version 5.5 > videos jerky?!?

avpro1
3/3/2007 6:01:45 AM
 I've been away from this forum for a while, but enjoy all advise.

I have a problem. We sre still using version 5 without any issues until this week. Our projection computer does not have internet access, so when I went to install some new software, such as Vegas 7 for video editing, Windows said I needed several "new" installers and Framework 2.0. So I took the computer to my computer repair shop buddy, and we installed all the newest updates for Windows.
 Now all the videos inside SSP 5 playback very jerky. Is there some compatibility issues with the latest update and video playback? I unistall new version of Windows Media Player 11, and any new media players. To revert back how the media players were before.
 Never had a problem until now. What is the "default" video player for SSP 5???

System: 1.8GHz Athlon XP
               1 GB Memory
               80 GB HDD
               60 GB HDD 
               Matrox G550 Dual Head Video

Any help would be greatly thanked!!!

G. Graham
Multi-media Director
Crossroads Church
Douglas, Georgia

osborn4
3/4/2007 12:41:05 PM
Make sure you have the latest video driver from the manufacturer.

However, it sounds like it is probably a codec issue. It might be worth trying to contact tech support.

Rod
3/5/2007 1:31:18 AM
sounds like codecs....

avpro1
3/5/2007 5:59:09 AM
Which codecs are needed? I unistalled Service Pack 2, and nothing changed. DLL files are probably to blame. Any thoughts? Remember, it workedbefore you broke it!!!

iamgap
3/6/2007 6:24:31 PM

You should be using WinDVD 4 with SSP 5.x. I had an issue a while back (way back actually) when I installed something that altered the CODECS. CODECs tell windows how to interprate and display videos. I just uninstalled DVD software (both PowerDVD and WinDVD) from the computer, and then re-installed only WinDVD.

If you have other programs that load CODECs (video editing software), install them before WinDVD, as they can alter the CODEC relationships the WinDVD puts in place.

avpro1
3/7/2007 5:43:54 AM

Is WinDVD 4 the only Codec or will the newest version of WinDVD work with SSP 5? Also, will any video editing software interfere with SSP 5? I use Vegas 7 for video editing.

Thanks, Glenn

Lee
3/8/2007 5:22:00 AM
Codec's are a set of files containing mathematical algorithms used to "decode" compressed videos and the problem is that each one is different and most/many are proprietary. WinDVD4 contains some old codecs that seem to work whereas newer versions (5, 6, 7, & 8) of WinDVD don't (so they say), thus the recommendation to use a specific old version.

Microsoft has been going through a period wherein once upon a time they installed certain codecs on your machine, and because of legal issues, when you install Windows Media Player 10 they either take OFF your machine some codecs that used to be there or some api's are simply no longer compatible with WMP's new DRM (Digital Rights Management) rules. When you uninstall WMP10 those codecs may not be restored and still not work. Then when you install WMP11 the same thing happens again, and when you uninstall WMP11 those codecs may still not work! I do not know anything about whether or not Vegas 7 updates any codecs rendering them inoperable.

What is annoying to you and me is that you are expected to buy codecs from 3rd parties but they never identitfy what codecs you need for what video file. You only get a generic error statement stating Windows couldn't play the file and leave it up to you to figure out what to do about it. (I once read a blogger who stated Vista will help a bit more in this area but I haven't read anyone since who confirmed that claim).

Microsoft has a free download XP Video Decoder Check Utility (DECCHECKSetup.EXE) that you can download, install, and run which tells you about installed MPEG-2 decoders and whether your codecs are "defective". You can select a "good" codec and click its Check for Update... button which takes you to the web site of that codec's vendor and from there you can purchase an updated version of that codec from them. If you select a Red X'd codec the Check for Update... button is grayed out so you can't ever update those codecs! Go figure! avi's are yet another story.

To find out what codecs and their version are installed on your machine, go to Start > Accessories > System Tools > System Information, click on the + by Components, click on the + by Multimedia, click on either Audio Codecs or Video Codecs. Expanding the Description column sometimes helps understand what that codec is, and you may have to expand the version column.

This all relates to SSP because SSP uses Windows internals (which in turn use the codecs) to play back video files; that is, I don't believe SSP itself installs any codecs onto your machine.

avpro1
3/8/2007 10:19:40 AM
Thanks Lee. This seems to make alot of sense. I'll try checking the codecs, plus install WinDVD 4 after all other installs and see what happens. By the way, are there any issues between XP and SSP 5 what I mean is there any conflicts between Media Player 11/Service Pack 2 and SSP 5?

Lee
3/9/2007 6:37:02 AM
Posted By avpro1 on 03/08/2007 10:19 AM
...(are) there any conflicts between Media Player 11/Service Pack 2 and SSP 5?
I don't know enough about it to be sure, but I don't think so directly. However, there may be issues with WMP. I also think DirectX is involved. Updated versions of XP may have installed later versions of DirectX that SSP 5 doesn't know anything about, and I wonder whether this could possibly cause problems but no one has identified it as a source of problems. (SSP 7 uses the latest version)

I think the rule is supposed to be that if you can play a file correctly directly from WMP, then SSP most likely will play it correctly, also. However, every now and then someone on this forum indicates an exception to this rule. Unfortunately we never hear of a specific resolution from them.

avpro1
3/14/2007 6:15:02 AM
After uninstalling Service Pack 2, WMP 11 and anything else that may bog down SSP5, the computer now is slower, and keeps downloading updates for Windows, but remember, this machine has no internet connection.
My real question is, I've thought of wiping both hard drives clean, after saving important files and info of course, reinstalling XP w/SP2. How, since SSP5 is no longer out there, would or could you back SSP5 up with all ProModules and Unlock codes without an internet connection? Sunday worship services are still happening, please advise, my frustration level is peaking.
Thanks, Glenn

osborn4
3/14/2007 6:32:14 AM
If you can get to the downloads page, you can download the latest 5.5 from there.

If not, do you have the latest version that you downloaded? Since you don't have an internet connection, you must have downloaded it and transported it to the projection computer.

Also, how does it "keep downloading updates for Windows" when it doesn't have an internet connection?

avpro1
3/14/2007 8:21:42 AM
As for the downloaded version, it is in an older computer that has "gained" a motherboard hiccup. All I know is, since the unistall of XP SP2, after every reboot or start up, the little "world and Windows flag" icon appears in the quick lauch tray, and says, downloading updates and gives a percentage of completion. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Glenn

osborn4
3/14/2007 10:00:06 AM
That's right. When you install SP2, it turns Automatic updates on for you.

Go to Start -> Control Panel and select Security Center.

In Security Center, click on Automatic Updates and turn them off (even though it is NOT recommended , that is how I run my projection computer and several others. )

Back inthe Security Center, click on "Change the way Security Center alerts me." In those options, you should be able to turn off the bubble nag that will tell you that you should be running automatic updates.

Hope that helps.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙