Version 8.0 > Installed Bible conflicts with scripture slide show display

sara-t
8/28/2014 11:15:34 AM

We recently purchased the NLT and Message Bibles, so we could display the entire scripture the pastor is reading.  The NLT proved to be unusable, due to many inserted references and alternate readings.  We will have to create slide shows for any NLT readings.  I have requested another version of NLT on the Wish List.

We find that the installed Bibles display at a much smaller size than a scripture text box.  We use size 23 on slide shows, and have to use a size 30 for Bibles.  This means that it is quite cumbersome to use both types in one service, or to change from one to the other each week.  As a result, we cannot really make use of the Bibles we purchased.

If there is a way to set one global Slide Display for scripture text boxes and references, and another for installed Bible displays, I would appreciate knowing what it is.  The only solution I have right now is to always override the global display when inserting a scripture text box in a slide show, either at the program item level, or for the individual text box.  Doable, but awkward.

Any suggestions?  Thank you.

dreece
8/29/2014 9:17:49 AM
Sara,

Regarding the NLT: I'm not familiar with what you are referring to. Can you give a few examples of verses that demonstrate the problem?

Regarding the text size: I think I recall something about this. I'll check into it as well.

sara-t
9/4/2014 9:18:12 AM

After much contact with support, it seems that there is no solution to this problem.  The NLT translation, with notes integrated into the text, is functioning as the publisher intended.  There is no other version.

So I am left with creating scripture slide shows.

Slide shows display text at a larger size than the scripture tool.  This is also as intended.   http://www.ssplash.com/Support/Know...fault.aspx

So if I want to use the scripture tool at all, I will have to change the scripture text size on every slide show with scripture in it.

OK, but

Thanks anyway.

wbub
9/4/2014 12:19:53 PM
We regularly use NLT via Online Bible in SSP7. I don't recall an issue with unwanted notes being displayed. Is the underlying text file different between the plugin and OLB? The issue we do see with NLT is that an opening double quote looks like two slanted opening single quotes, while a closing double quote looks like one typewriter (straight) double quote.
When we have occasion to display only part of a verse, we create it as a song called zScripture1, zScripture2, etc. We put the reference in the Author field. We put the whole text for one slide on one line of the "song." We have separate "in-line" properties for singing and sermon, so the "Sermon" song propreties are set up to wrap lyrics (scripture), and display the Author similar to where the Reference is displayed for Scripture. Since we reuse these "zScripture" "songs, we have the disadvantage of losing the actual reference and text for old programs, but we save the reference in the Comments for each "song." I don't know if that's harder or easier than creating a scriptute slide show.

sara-t
9/4/2014 12:42:40 PM

Thanks for your suggestion.

Here is a problem verse.  Some are more cryptic than this.

Our pastor does not want the notes on screen, certainly not in this difficult-to-read style.

I now create scripture lesson slide shows.  We have set up slide properties for scripture and reference.  I could just remember that slide show scriptures have to be set to a smaller size than scripture tool scriptures.  However, many other people have their hands on this, and it's one more thing that they have to remember.  Instead, we are just not using then Bibles we purchased.

George
9/4/2014 2:05:40 PM
Sara,

Again sorry to hear about your difficulty, we are looking into this further.

In the meantime if you are creating slideshows, you can still use these bible to save yourself typing or cut/paste from another source.

In the Slide Builder you can create scripture slides to assist with this very issue.

Launch Slide Builder
Launch the Scripture Slides Assistant (or just create a single slide using the Create a slide drop menu)
From here you can select the bible and scriptures to insert into the slideshow.
After selecting them and completing the Assistant or slide creation, you can then go in and edit the text, removing just the confusing notes from the slide.

Hopefully this will save you some time.  Also in your case since you are setting specific font sizes for text, this might improve that behavior as well since the Slide Builder and songs should be about the same regarding font size.

sara-t
9/4/2014 4:08:36 PM

OK, that could help!  At least I wouldn't have to go out to Bible Gateway all the time.  I'll give it a try.

dreece
9/5/2014 2:18:26 PM
There may be a misunderstanding here with what the support team told you. If something doesn't look right in a Bible source, we need to know about it. In this case, I expect that the intent is that the notes are not included as part of the text.

sara-t
9/5/2014 2:23:31 PM

Well, I didn't think so, Doug.  But until it gets cleared up one way or another, I did appreciate George's suggestion.  I am learning to use the scripture assistant.

Thanks!

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙