Version 5.5 > PPT problems

Blairness
10/17/2005 3:04:10 AM
I tried to use a couple of PPT's in SSP a few weeks ago and they worked well for what I needed. However, after going to a blank slide and minimising SSP, I tried running a PPT through PPT and it would not run. I closed SSP down, thinking it must have been trying to display something, but that didn't help at all. In the end I had to log off windows and then log back in again (all the while the pastor was frantically trying to get me to tell him what was going on with his sermon PPT!). If anyone can inform me of why this would happen it would be greatly appreciated.

The reasons I didn't run the sermon PPT through SSP is because you can't preview all the slides and go to any at any given time (very important when the pastor gets a bit off track and has to skip some of his sermon due to time issues!).
I think the best solution would be that when you click the "diamond" or "+" or whatever to start a PPT in SSP, if the normal PPT "presenter view" would come up (or whatever you have set to come up for that particular PPT). Or even if SSP had it's own "presenter view"! (it could be way better than the PPT one: bigger/changeable preview screens for the slides; e.t.c.)

Oh well, after all that, I must admit I played a video file on Sunday and it played better than it would in WMP (none of the dual screen problems http://ssplash.com/Forums/tabid/76/forumid/1/postid/622/view/topic/Default.aspx)

Rick Everingham
10/17/2005 6:42:32 AM
We run our ppts thru ssp all the time, if you open the program inspector window you can see the slides and can switch between them as needed. You can also use the database inspector window and follow along in there.  If I need a blank slide for some reason, I have one made in SSB and just pop that one up.  I have found that if you minimize ssp during a ppt slideshow, it will not display the ppt slides for you in the inspector windows.

mike
10/17/2005 7:04:34 AM

A few comments:

Did you install the PowerPoint Support ProModule?   Most of the functionality that you want (e.g., being able to inspect the presentation) is provided.  You can see the next slide in the preview panel and all of them in the Inspector panel.  In my opinion, the random navigation (skipping around) through a PPT presentation is better in SSP than running it in native PPT.

And, as good as that is, I still almost never use PowerPoint.  I find native SSP slideshows to be better in every respect except one: more people have PPT than SSP, so if your presentation is coming from (for example) a visiting speaker, it will come in PPT.

If you prepare your presentations yourself,  I would recommend that you take the time to learn Slide Show Builder, the SSP tool to create slide shows.  SSP/SSB provides all of the key functionality provided by PPT, and more.  The ability to "preview all the slides and go to any at any given time"  is better using a SSP  slide show than a PPT slideshow  displayed in SSP and much better than standalone PPT.  One feature I particularly like is the ability to "name" each individual slides.  Then, in the program panel, you can expand the slideshow to see a list of slides by name.   My Pastor uses outlines, so my names tend to be (I, IA, IA1, IA2, IB...) I also incorporate the scripture references right in the slide show on separate slides.  I make them stand out by naming them with a prefix of "-----", so they look like "----- Gen 1:1).  This is outstanding in SSP, because when I create the slides, I never know if the pastor first make his point then reference scripture, or reference scripture then make his point. either way, the ability to easily jump around works very well!

Hope this helps,

iamgap
10/17/2005 10:04:13 AM
We ran a PPT slide this past weekend that never display what was coming next. It always displayed just the background, and the "Diplay" side just moved right on through the slide with no option to manuall advance it. I have run PPT through SSP before that didn't do this, except when the slide had an "motion" feature. It appears that when a PPT slide has "motion" SSP plays it through without waiting for a prompt.

gap

mike
10/17/2005 11:02:11 AM
I guess you need to contact tech support. Because (I just tried it again) and it is working perfectly for me.

When I did the installation I installed both "PowerPoint Support" and "PowerPoint Import"
Then, when I run PowerPoint, I choose "PowerPoint controls”.   (See Tools->Configure-PowerPoint Support).  You need the ProModule to do this.

When I run a PPT slide show, the next slide shows perfectly in the "Preview pain".
(note, if the slide has animations, e.g., fly in bullet points, the preview pane just shows the completed or final view.. Which works for me better than if they had chosen the next bullet)

If you want the ability to pick and choose slides from the PPT out of order, open the "Inspector Panel" (Icon in the upper left, with a magnifying glass.   In the inspector panel, choose the "slides" tab.  You should see each slide.  Then, to display a slide, touch the "green diamond" next to the slide in the inspector, and SSP will display that slide.     It is working perfectly for me.

Did you install the
"PowerPoint Support" ProModule?

mike
10/17/2005 11:10:52 AM
Some more configurations to check:

Tools -> Preferences -> External Slide Shows.

I use "A) Use the external player when possible"

I'm not sure if this matters, but there is also a "Third Party" configuration that specifies "Hide the Song Show Display when a third party slide show is displayed",  I do NOT have that selected.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙